Petrykivka decorative painting as a phenomenon of the Ukrainian ornamental folk art
Inscribed in 2013 (8.COM) on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
- Petrykivka decorative painting as a phenomenon of the Ukrainian ornamental folk art
The people of the village of Petrykivka decorate their living quarters, household belongings and musical instruments with a style of ornamental painting that is characterized by fantastic flowers and other natural elements, based on careful observation of the local flora and fauna. This art is rich in symbolism: the rooster stands for fire and spiritual awakening, while birds represent light, harmony and happiness. In folk belief, the paintings protect people from sorrow and evil. Local people, and in particular women of all ages, are involved in this folk art tradition. Every family has at least one practitioner, making decorative painting an integral part of daily existence in the community. The painting traditions, including the symbolism of the ornamental elements, are transferred, renewed and enhanced from one generation to another. Local schools at all levels, from pre-school to college, teach the fundamentals of Petrykivka decorative painting, with all children given the opportunity to study it. The community willingly teaches its skills and know-how to anyone who shows an interest. The tradition of decorative and applied arts contributes to the renewal of historical and spiritual memory and defines the identity of the entire community.
- Nomination form: English|French
- Consent of communities: English/Ukrainian/French
- ICH inventory: English
- ICH inventory - snapshot of related webpage_last visit 20130217: Ukrainian
Decision 8.COM 8.29
The Committee (…) decides that [this element] satisfies the criteria for inscription on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity, as follows:
- R.1: Petrykivka decorative painting is transmitted from generation to generation through non-formal and formal education and provides its practitioners with a sense of identity and belonging;
- R.2: Inscription of Petrykivka decorative painting on the Representative List could promote greater visibility of the intangible cultural heritage by encouraging dialogue between traditional craft practitioners at the national and international levels;
- R.3: Past, current and future efforts to safeguard Petrykivka painting have been or will be carried out by the bearers, schools, research and administrative organizations in the region;
- R.4: The wide participation of practitioners of Petrykivka decorative painting in the nomination process is reflected in the safeguarding measures proposed, and the nomination includes evidence of their free, prior and informed consent;
- R.5: Petrykivka decorative painting is included in the List of Elements of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Ukraine maintained by the Department of Culture Heritage and Cultural Values of the Ministry of Culture.
Recalls the importance of using appropriate vocabulary and avoiding expressions such as ‘protect authenticity’.
© 2013 by Promysel
These videos (and many more) can also be consulted through the UNESCO Archives Multimedia website