Safeguarding traditional Somali performing arts
Before the civil war Somalia enjoyed a vibrant cultural life, in which traditional performing arts played a major role. Aware of the role that cultural practices may play in fostering social cohesion and in reconciliation processes in future post-conflict Somalia, the project aims to
- identify traditional performing arts practices of Somali people with a view to safeguarding this heritage,
- highlight the role that cultural practices can play in reconciliation process for the post conflict Somalia, and
- contribute to the rehabilitation of Somali culture.
Core activities of the project include:
- the identification of traditional performing arts of Somali communities in the North Eastern Province in Kenya;
- the preparation of a draft inventory of those traditions; and
- the acquisition of extant audiovisual materials related to traditional performing arts of Somali people.