Institutions, organizations, contacts
Permanent Delegation of the Islamic Republic of Iran to UNESCO
Maison de l’UNESCO
1, rue Miollis
75732 PARIS Cedex 15
Iranian National Commission for UNESCO
15, 1st St., Shahid Hesari St.
IR - 1548946111 Tehran
Islamic Republic of Iran
This country did not designate yet any national authority in charge of the use of the emblem of the Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage
Read more on the use the emblem
UNESCO Office in Tehran
Iran (Islamic Republic of)
Drobna, Helena (email@example.com)
Category 2 center(s)
Regional Research Centre for Safeguarding Intangible Cultural Heritage in West and Central Asia
The functions of the centre are: (a) to create and keep up to date an automated information system registering and linking institutions, community organizations and individual experts involved in safeguarding ICH in the Region; (b) to gather and disseminate information on legal, administrative, financial and other measures taken by the States participating in the centre with a view to safeguarding the ICH present in their territories; (c) to gather and disseminate information on safeguarding activities in the States participating in the centre; (d) to organize activities for developing research methodologies and studies concerning the safeguarding of ICH, including studies concerning the development of tourism that is respectful of ICH; (e) to organize activities to identify and promote good safeguarding practices, and to assist States Parties to reinforce their capacities to prepare files proposing such practices to the Intergovernmental Committee as foreseen in Article 18 of the 2003 Convention; (f) to coordinate activities aimed at awareness-raising and capacity-building among holders and practitioners of intangible cultural heritage, so as to allow them to participate actively in the identification, inventorying and managing of their ICH; (g) to foster capacity-building for drafting candidature files for inscription on the two lists of the 2003 Convention and for drafting requests and reports for submission to the Intergovernmental Committee, in particular concerning shared intangible cultural heritage elements; (h) to cooperate and exchange information with other category 2 centres in and beyond Asia, under the auspices of UNESCO, in the field of safeguarding ICH; (i) to inform the Intergovernmental Committee and the Secretariat of the 2003 Convention about relevant activities in the Region and to assist in the implementation of the 2003 Convention.
c/o Iranian Cultural Heritage, Handicraft and Tourism Organization (ICHHTO)
No. 15, Emam Khomeini Avenue
P.O. Box 11365-4834
Accredited NGOs located in this country
|Name, address and source||Activities related to ICH|
|Doostdaran and Hafezane Kheshte Kham Association - DHKKA|
No. 839, First Floor, 12-A Block
Baharan Qadim Complex
IRAN (ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF)
Tel.: +98-351 8245358; +98 09131532657
Year of creation: 2008
- performing arts
- identification, documentation,
research (including inventory-making)
Iran (Islamic Republic of)Objectives:
1. Identify, Conserve and Preserve Yazd's diverse tangible and intangible cultural heritage resources as a basis for retaining and enhancing strong community character
2. Defining a preliminary suitable template for a National and local Inventory of Intangible Cultural
Enhance knowledge of intangible cultural heritage among the community and tourists;
Familiarize national officials with the mechanisms of the Convention for the Safeguarding of the
Intangible Cultural Heritage (2003), and organize training in the documentation of intangible cultural heritage.
3. Promote cultural tourism and cultural heritage through supporting local craftsmanship and training activities
4. Raising public awareness in protecting tangible and intangible cultural heritage in historical quarters
5- Promote historic and cultural resource conservation and preservation as a socio-economic tool in the revitalization of historical quarters.
1. Public awareness campaign and media support on heritage conservation with community and local government
2. Advocacy with governmental and non-governmental organizations and media to support responsible policies in terms of intangible cultural heritage in historical quarters
3. Training of local craftsmanship and development of local handicraft market in historical quarters
4. Organization of seminars, training workshops, exhibitions and cultural festive to support intangible cultural heritage with participation of local communities in historical quarters
5. Provision of consultancy to municipalities in heritage-based elements of revitalizing historical quarters
6. Facilitation of community-based activities to mobilize and empower local community in protecting cultural heritage in historical quarters
7. DHKKA has initiated an inventory of the endemic folk and decorative arts, crafts and trades that have the potential to be officially recognized as Yazd heritage products, conducting an inventory of those craftsmen, artisans and trades people that are using traditional methods for the production of heritage products and creating and maintaining a database of "living history" interpreters, storytellers, and musicians as a basis for future heritage tourism development opportunities.
8.1n response to safeguarding of intangible cultural heritage, the most important achievement of the DHKKA is initiation of 'Badgir Foundation', dedicated to research, documentation and study of Indigenous Technology and Utilization of Wind Towers for promotion of Environmentally Compatible Energy Systems in Iran. Pursuant to the 2-year attempt of DHKKA in official endorsement of the 'Wind Towers Technology" as an Iranian Intangible Cultural Heritage, compiled by a team of researchers and consultants, the initiative was officially approved in the 8th National Congress of Recording Intangible Cultural Heritage in early 2013. DHKKA is currently building on advocacy and documentation of 'Wind-Tower' as a UNESCO- supported Iranian
Intangible Cultural Heritage at International level to promote the Global enforcement of local and national initiatives.
9. In addition to official documentation of 'Wind-Tower' technology as the national intangible heritage, DHKKA has also contributed to documentation and promotion of Traditional Games (including Mallet) in Yazd as Indigenous ways of communication and social learning, facilitating interactive apprenticeships particularly for the youth. DHKKA has also contributed to promotion and marketing of Yazd Traditional Sweets, Bakery & Confectionery Products using the tourist trail approach and it aims at documenting and recording the Traditional Games, Sweets and costumes of Yazd as Iranian Intangible Cultural Heritage at International level.
Among many of its community-based initiatives, DHKKA has formed the group "Heritage Safe Keepers". The group has served as a catalyst in mobilizing the local community in protecting cultural heritage in Yazd historical quarter. Accordingly, the group has been active in advocacy with local government, media and NGOs in raising awareness on heritage conservation and has contributed to research activities and strategy making in regenerating/revitalizing historical quarters. The group has also involved local community in organizing cultural festivals and exhibitions, also advocating cultural tourism by training specialized tour guides and leading cultural tours in Yazd historical quarters. DHKKA leads community-based, environmental campaigns that inspires and empowers communities living in historical context of Yazd to clean up, fix up and conserve their environment. The awareness raising events with the common goal of cleaning up, fixing up and conserving the local heritage environment are organized during Norouz (Iranian New Year) and other national festivals. DHKKA also promotes Cultural tourism by organizing special cultural events, exhibitions, and celebrations during tourism seasons, promoting the local cultural heritage through exhibitions showcasing traditional crafts, artwork, sport and cuisine.
DHKKA also involves both the local community and the tourists in promotion, coordination and organizing of cultural, artistic, sport and other performances that contribute to enrichment of cultural tourism. The activity is facilitated by involving the community and tourists through participating in conferences, workshops, attending historical and religious festivals and reviving folkloric, traditional and artistic activities, as well as through organizing cultural tours and visits. Through its community members and active volunteers, DHKKA has initiated local tourist informative centers to inform visitors about tourism, cultural and heritage values of the community.
DHKKA has mobilized the community in creating and maintaining local inventories of available historic buildings and structures, at local level, which has resulted in registration of the houses of the famous 'Farrokhi Yazdi' and 'Bostani' among the national cultural heritage of Iran.