Meetings on intangible cultural heritage (co-)organized by UNESCO
Regional meeting for West Africa04/05-12-2006, Dakar (Senegal)
Regional meeting for Central Africa30-11-2006/01-12-2006, Douala (Cameroon)
Regional meeting for Eastern and Southern Africa27/28-11-2006, Dar es Salam (United Republic of Tanzania)
1st session of the Intergovernmental Committee18/19-11-2006, Algiers (Algeria)
1st extraordinary session of the General Assembly09-11-2006, Paris (France)
Meeting on inventorying intangible cultural heritage in Ethiopia, Djibouti and Somalia19/20-10-2006, Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
1st session of the General Assembly27/29-06-2006, Paris (France)
Expert meeting on the Impacts of the Proclamation of Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity20/21-04-2006, Paris (France)
Joining forces for preserving Africa’s linguistic diversity23/25-03-2006, Bamako (Mali)
Expert meeting on Identification of Intangible Heritage in Sudan21/22-03-2006, Khartoum (Sudan)
Expert meeting on Community Involvement in Safeguarding Intangible Cultural Heritage13/15-03-2006, Tokyo (Japan)
This expert meeting is part of a series of encounters organized by UNESCO on core themes concerning the Intangible Cultural Heritage Convention. Previous meetings dealt with Inventory-making (March 2005), the Selection Criteria for Inscription on the Convention’s Lists (December 2005), and Documentation and Archiving (January 2006).
The meeting’s objectives:
1) Provide a forum to exchange ideas and concerns and to elaborate recommendations on:
- The definition of communities and groups in the context of the ICH Convention;
- The involvement of communities and groups in defining, identifying and inventorying their intangible cultural heritage;
- Ensuring the widest possible participation of communities and groups in safeguarding activities;
- Determining ways in which intangible cultural heritage can serve as a factor in development.
2) Provide participants with the latest information on the Convention’s ratification status and the preparation of its implementation
3) Discuss ACCU activities and proposals for strengthening regional and sub-regional networks to ensure effective implementation of promotional and safeguarding activities related to the Convention.
The meeting was organized by UNESCO and the Asia/Pacific Cultural Centre for UNESCO (ACCU), in cooperation with Bunkacho (Agency of Cultural Affairs in Japan).
- Final report, conclusions and participants’ list (English|French)
- To download Experts’ Reports (Mr Antonio ARANTES ; Ms Janet BLAKE ; Ms Harriet DEACON ; Ms Margaret FLOREY ; Mr Epeli HAU’OFA ; Mr Garrett KAM ; Mr KONO Toshiyuki ; Ms Kristin KUUTMA ; Mr Philippe LA HAUSSE DE LALOUVIERE ; Ms Kimberley LAWSON ; Mr LUNGTEN Gyatso ; Mr Thabo MANETSI ; Mr Adam NAYYAR ; Ms Diana Alicia N’DIAYE ; Ms Faustina K. REHUHER ; Mr Ahmed SKOUNTI ; Mr Vellorimo SUMINGUIT ; Ms Huism TAN ; Mr UEMURA Shozo), please consult the page maintained by ACCU:
Preparatory Meeting for a Manual on Oral Traditions and Expressions27/28-01-2006, Paris (France)
Expert meeting on documentation and archiving of intangible cultural heritage12/13-01-2006, Paris (France)