Projects and activities on intangible heritage in which UNESCO is involved
Sorry, the following text is not available in english.
Action plan for the Safeguarding of the Ahellil of Gourara12-2006/09-2009, Algeria
Action Plan for the Safeguarding, Promotion and Development of the Cultural Space of the Bedu in the regions of Petra and Wadi Rum12-2006/03-2009, Jordan
Safeguarding traditional games of the Afar and the Somali people in the Horn of Africa12-2006/03-2009, Djibouti
Safeguarding traditional Somali performing arts04-2008/03-2009, Somalia
Action plan for the safeguarding of the Song of Saana11-2005/01-2009, Yemen
- Song of Sana’a
- © Samir Mokrani
The Song of Sana’a is a group of songs accompanied by the fine sound of the Yemeni lute and a lightly struck copper tray. The poetic repertory, written in both Yemeni dialects and classical Arabic, abounds in wordplay and is renowned for its emotional content.
The project was designed to:
- promote knowledge about the Song of Sana’a;
- raise awareness about its functions and its importance for society; and
- ensure its safeguarding through teaching, research and inventory making activities.
The project activities encompass the following:
- preparation and development of an inventory of the Song of Sana’a;
- establishment of archives within the institutional infrastructure of the Yemeni Centre for Musical Heritage and the training of researchers in field survey and inventorying;
- encouragement of Transmission of the Song of Sana’a, especially the old masters’ skills to younger generations, through the opening of master classes and scholarships for students;
- preservation of the musical instruments through lute-making workshop with scholarships for students;
- awareness raising campaign and the dissemination of recordings, with the production of promotional documentation such as CDs, DVDs and books.
Preservation, Revitalization and Promotion of Jemaa el-Fna Square, Marrakech03-2004/12-2008, Morocco
Safeguarding Palestinian Hikaye11-2006/09-2008, Palestine
Enhancing Women’s Role as Custodians and Artisans of Egyptian Handicrafts01-2005/05-2006, Egypt
Promotion and documentation of women’s intangible cultural heritage in Mauritania2004/2005, Mauritania