Barbadinhos Steam Pumping Station
The Barbadinhos Steam Pumping Station opened on 3 October 1880. It was built to raise the water coming from the Alviela Canal to the Veronica and Cisterna do Monte reservoirs. It was used to increase the volume of the water supplied to the city of Lisbon.
The main equipment consists of four steam machines that worked uninterruptedly until 1928. They were built in the workshops of “Constructeurs - Mecaniciens” E. W. Windsor & Fils, of Rouen, France, an English owned company.
The machines, whose steam was produced by five boilers, are all of the same kind: vertical pistons with two cylinders each and steam liner – Woolf system – of variable expansion and condensation.