SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY EDUCATION
SCHOOL HEALTH AND NUTRITION
Pedagogy of health education
- conducts a "needs analysis" as a first step in deciding what are the health needs of the pupils, school and community
- creates a comfortable, supportive, co-operative and healthy learning environment
- involves their community
- builds on what the pupils know
- progressively returns to a number of key health topics throughout a child's schooling
- does not present the material as "problems" and the pupils as "victims"
- facilitates learning through a variety of modalities (students doing, seeing, reading, listening...) which are student-centred and task-based.
- includes social aspects of health alongside the physical and mental