| The EFA 2000
Assessment: Country Reports
Part III Expectations and Future Visions
Fulfilling basic needs in "Education for All" requires more
than, just, a definition of the commitment to basic education in its current situation.
What is really needed is a broad vision that goes beyond the current resources levels, the
institutional structures, school curricula and traditional educational systems, relying,
thus, on the best existent practices.
This above mentioned sentence was cited in article 2 of the Universal
Declaration on "Education for all", which was approved in Jomitien, Thailand, in
1999, by the World Congress on "Education for All". The broad vision consists of
1. Making education accessible to all and promoting equality;
2. Insisting upon learning acquirements;
3. Broadening basic education scope and means;
4.Promoting learning environment;
5. Reinforcing contributions.
Accordingly, the State of Bahrein proceeded to abide by the provisions
embodied in the Declaration. It aimed for benefiting from the broad vision while setting
down its own future educational vision and directives. It views this as reference to
reconsider its previous directives, introducing the suitable amendments to the whole
educational system. Therefore, in 1995, appeared a document under the title "Main
Directives for Developing Education in the Coming Stage", which obtain the approval
of the honored government in 1996. This document, also, embodies similar directives to the
"Education for All" broad vision, as specified in the Universal Declaration on
Education for All. Some of its aspects focussed on the following:
- Making education accessible to all and promoting equality
The most prominent directives in this field:
- Keeping providing suitable education opportunity for all citizens, reaching those who
are in school age, realizing balance, by opening schools all over the country, in order to
meet the State policy consisting in providing education for all. ]
- Reducing the educational waste rate, such as school drop-out and failure, and
illiteracy; in order to make the best use of the available `resources and possibilities.
- Insisting upon learning acquirements
The most prominent directives in this field:
- Improving the students learning, qualitative and quantative acquirements, in all
subjects, especially, Arabic language, mathematics, sciences and English language; so that
school graduates performance equals the world perfection levels.
- Developing technical and organizational procedures that achieve much more seriousness
and firmness in the management of teaching and progress process, that guarantee that most
of the students reach the required levels of perfection.
- Reviewing, the curricula and school books, while taking into consideration the necessity
of raising the government expectations from students and widening the qualitative
knowledge and the high intellectual skills, that most of the students must perfect. All of
this must be achieved in the light of the recent scientific and educational development,
the Bahrainee society needs and ambitions, as well as the consequences to which has led
the application of current curricula and books and use of the world experiences in this
- Broadening basic education scope and means:
The most prominent directives in this field are:
- Inciting the private sector to open kindergartens that would receive a greater number of
children in pre-school, thus contributing to better preparing them for attending primary
- Achieving literacy training and preventing any potential return to illiteracy by the end
of this century.
- Realizing cohesion between formal and informal education, reinforcing adult education
program and life long education, improving their quality and adapting them to the labour
- Reinforcing Islamic education, Arabic language, Bahrain history and geography, in the
private schools and make sure these subjects get the appropriate interest and time, to
teach them according to the level specified by the government.
- Reinforcing the public libraries role in spreading knowledge and improving the
cultural level of the society members, modernizing them on the technical level and
supplying their properties with various printed and audiovisual knowledge sources, in an
even away, for all specialization fields.
- Promoting learning environment
- Insisting upon the citizen integral upbringing, so that his believe in God, his
belonging to his nation and his devotion to his prince get more powerful. Therefor he
would participate in safeguarding his countrys sovereignty, unity and social
- Enriching and developing the citizen personality, strengthening his self respect,
developing sound thinking skills and creativity spirit within him; so that he takes on his
responsibilities in his society, adapt to the era changes and brings constructive
contribution to the development of his country.
- Deepening the citizen respect to his cultural inheritance, reserving the social values
in the bahrainee society, feeling proud of them and making use of them, by preserving the
countrys identity and progress; as well as its opening to other cultures, to
understand them, and make use of the good elements.
- Getting familiar with the environment and making sure on taking care of it, maintaining
its resources and preserving its natural, historical and cultural sides, as well as its
private and public properties.
- Reinforcing the discipline, seriousness and commitment spirit within the youth and
consolidating it as an added value that confers to its owner numerous social and moral
- Reinforcing educational control and supervision, ensuring a strict environment, adequate
for learning and teaching at school and respecting the regulation in what serves the
students interest and pushes them to make better use of the teaching and educational
services, the school offers to them.
- Reinforcing contributions
- Encouraging private sectors investors to open national private schools and educational
institutes, in order to lighten the pressure on the public schools and enrich educational
experience. Nevertheless, conditions and regulations, which guarantee that the private
education institutions goals and services much with the national goals of the public
education in Bahrain, must be observed.
- Widening the coordination scope among the concerned government ministries, the relevant
committees institutions in order to promote, develop and adapt education to the citizen
and society needs.
- Promoting the level of educational and school administrations and working towards their
development and reactivating their role, in order to improve their performance, raise
their efficiency, and increase their ability to implement ameliorative plans and programs.
- Consolidating relations between the house and the school, harmonizing their roles with
that of the society in educating youth, reinforcing the role of the students parents in
teaching learning processes, encouraging the school opening on its environment
reactivating its role in educational activity and social services.
- Reinforcing the house role in supporting school and transforming it to a full partner in
increasing the students learning acquirements.
- Pursuing the government policy toward education apprenticeship and providing its
requirements, applying life-long teaching and learning strategy, improving the level of
either teacher or workers in the educational field, following their apprenticeship
development, in order to enable them to fulfil their tasks effectively and efficiently and
submitting job promotion to the professional one.
- Reinforcing the in-school training in order to achieve sustainable professional
development and encouraging the school effort in its apprenticeship and self learning
related practices, in order to raise its workers skills and give them motivation to reach
expected educational and cultural levels.
The Ministry of Education took several measures to achieve those
orientation and intensified its efforts by applying a number of procedures, methods and
programs that guarantee maximum amount of supports, to realize the goals, policies and
programs, adopted and expected to be adopted on a long term. The Ministry translated these
orientation into a broad vision that embodies other sides, directly related to the
following basic learning needs offering:
- Reinforcing early childhood global care, promoting pre-school education, by developing
its regulations, curricula and teaching and evaluation methods; training its teachers and
setting practical training programs in order to develop kindergarten skills, according to
modern educational methods. The pillars of future education in the kindergarten
institutions, such as self and life long learning, have to be taken into consideration.
- Setting up global and integral conception for future school qualification, places of
studying, students number; the role of the new educational techniques in specifying
schooling time at school and in other places; taking measure to develop the school
building, to be more responsive to the new technological changes and receive a greater
number of students in basic education.
- Evaluating educational outcome and learning acquirements levels at the end of each
module, starting with the basic united and integral capabilities, in a periodic way. The
objective is to identify the weaknesses and strength in the students performance.
Furthermore guiding teaching process, ameliorating strategies, correcting practices and
amending policies as well as participating in world evaluative surveys.
- Submitting basic education curricula to a global development, so that they much with
modern life needs, answer the changing civilization will in society, welcome the science
of the era and reflect the recent educational development. In this regard, special
importance should be given to the diversity of the educational subjects, rather than
relying on the book as one unique learning source.
- Directing educational programs and projects to face era requirements and present and
future needs; widening the use of recent educational techniques, especially those related
to data processing and computer, as a subject and a teaching learning instrument;
preparing programs applied in learning and teaching processes; creating databases for this
issues; integrating various modes in the learning and teaching strategies; reinforcing the
use of computers by brilliant and slow learners, specially in basic education, very soon
in order to promote individualization in self learning and education process.
- Considering work and practical experience as basic pillar of all education levels, and
adopting pilot projects, since early age related to technique design and practical
- Giving the teachers training a special importance and rehabilitating him in a
permanent way, on the scientific, practical and behavioral level; determining teaching
capabilities in the light of the roles expected from the teacher in a changing world.
Trying to improve the teachers level by attracting the special categories to
teaching profession, ameliorating on-service training programs, while insisting on using
communication and information technology in teaching process. In addition, using the
methods and tools that match with the principals of formative and constructive evaluation.
Those special categories must also be trained in the work and production sides and their
skills developed in thinking field, and problem solving, in order to improve performance.
- Strengthening the decentralized administration; developing the school institution and
reinforcing its opening on the society on the environment; consolidating its efforts,
changing its role, increasing its authorities and making it a research, creativity and
innovation fields. Thus the school institution climate becomes effective and contributes
to educational innovation and development process. The heading towards self learning in
these school institutions by considering it as a process where all elements and changes
outside and inside the school participate. Moreover, developing executive level efficiency
in the policies, strategies, activities and methods related to educational data system.
- Improving the productive efficiency of the school institution by reactivating its daily
work cycle and realizing maximal effectiveness and efficiency. Thus, reaching maximum
degrees of student learning, which enable most of the students to attain perfection
levels. Furthermore, realizing high quality education that reflects on educational input
operations and output.
- Giving special importance to develop the school learning sources and improving their
efficiency by establishing internet links with other sources. Moreover, stressing learning
rather than teaching.
- Directing the educational system to be more in harmony with sustainable education and
life long learning; consolidating life long education related principal in order to face
civilizations consecutive changes and current international and regional challenges.
Furthermore, making educational innovations that influence working methods and style as
part of sustainable education, by providing high quality education and culture. In
addition, making use of communication technique in life long education for all citizen;
emphasizing the importance of civilization and adapting adult education to the 21st
century requirement. By that means, the Bahrainee society becomes in all its categories an
educated society. Thus it would be able to preserve its roots, renew its life, improve its
quality and participate in human civilization process.
In order to keep on renewing the future vision of education, a
committee was recently formed, under the Ministry of Education control, in order to set
"the future vision for Developing Educational and Teaching System in Bahrain by
2.025". In this connection, what has been done, under the above mentioned document on
"Main Directives", should be taken into consideration, as well as the
educational innovation projects, and the draft document on foreseeing the future in the
Arab golf states.
The committee determine, at the beginning of its 13 work themes as
- improving the education process in various phases, including (curricula, learning
strategies, educational evaluation, learning sources);
- Administrative development (educational management, steering procedures, school
- Education economics and finance (rationalizing expenditure, supporting education,
- Researches and global evaluation;
- Education apprenticeship;
- Information technology (computer science and its techniques);
- Life long education (literacy, adult education, high education);
- Vocational and technical education;
- Pre-school education;
- Taking care of special categories (talented and brilliant students, slaw learners and
people with disabilities);
- Private education (civil community);
- Reinforcing relations between the house, the school and the society.
The starting point in studying this document themes was the current
related practices and the world orientation which aim for developing them. It is expected
that the "Future Vision for Developing the Educational and Teaching System in Bahrain
by 2.025" document will be published in March 2000.