As part of the ongoing review of the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED), the UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS) organized a regional expert meeting for the Arab States in Doha, Qatar on 7-8 February 2010.
This meeting discussed the below key issues on the ISCED standards that are particularly relevant for the Arab States, and summarizes the recommendations of the assembled experts.
- ISCED 0 and early childhood care and education (ECCE),
- ISCED on basic education
- ISCED 2-3: Secondary levels of education and the differences between general and vocational programmes
- ISCED 4-5-6: Post-secondary levels of education and a description of alternative scenarios for the new ISCED standards
- Technical and vocational education and training (TVET) and the differences between general and vocational education
- Non-formal education (NFE),
- Educational attainment focused on the proposed definition and its application
Revisited new issues that had emerged during the discussions