Social & Human Sciences in the Arab States of the Gulf
Within UNESCO's overall mandate "of building peace in the minds of men and women," the Social and Human Sciences Sector in Doha office seeks to advance knowledge, standards, and intellectual cooperation to facilitate social transformations where the values of justice, freedom, and human dignity can be fully realized. In pursuit of this purpose, the Sector works under three main structuring lines:
- "Studying what is" --> promoting empirical research
- "Anticipating what could be" --> promoting philosophical reflection and future-oriented studies
- "Determining what should be" --> developing and promoting international standards in order to draw up recommendations for policies and action.
Social and Human Science sector in Doha office focuses on
- Promote and protect human rights/ human security and democracy with priority programmes in youth, family ethics, traditional cultural values, and human rights in particular of marginalized groups.
- Contribute to the elaboration and improvement of physical education and sport policies by Conducting monitoring of the international convention Against Doping in Sport
- Promote ethical values, which will guide the use of science and technology towards development that makes the improvement of e quality of human life the priority
- Contribute to the sustainability of a better quality of life for entire communities by promoting action oriented policies based on research.
UNESCO Doha Office also provides support for activities in the region implemented by UNESCO Headquarters in the filed of Ethics and bioethics and the ethics of science and technology. This includes bioethics education, environmental ethics, implementing international ethics standards, and examining the ethics of emerging areas of science and technology.
Works with civil society, academia, Governments , Law enforcement agencies, Public Sector Institutions, Social services, Social Policy and legislations Public Sector Institutions, NGOs .and other willing partners to link sound research to sound policy-making, and to ethical practice for each community via Exchanges of knowledge on major contemporary social transformations, regional, meetings, conferences, workshops, publications, discussion forums, research networks, expert groups.
Contacts at the Doha Field Office
For additional information regarding Social and Human Sciences, please visit UNESCO's Social and Human Sciences Sector web site.