UNESCO Chair in Special Needs Education (820), established in 2008 at the University of Buea (Cameroon).
Special needs education.
- To develop institutional capacity through postgraduate programmes in special needs education;
- To conduct action research to inform social policy and appropriate educational practices for the attainment of quality scholarship and good practices at national and regional levels, which should align with international levels and standards;
- To train school administrators in special needs education, specialists in educational technology for special needs education, with skills for making didactic materials to support remediation programmes;
- To encourage partnership through community participation with aim of eradicating cultural and psychological barriers that foster faulty beliefs about disabilities and consequently hinder the promotion of appropriate intervention;
- To provide educational opportunities that will increase the chances for the participation of disabled persons in social and economic development.
UNESCO Sector/Office responsible for the Chair/Network
Education; UNESCO Yaoundé.
Prof. Therese Mungah Shalo Tchombe, UNESCO Chairholder
Centre for Research in Child and Family Development in Education
University of Buea
P.O. Box 901