United Republic of Tanzania
UNITWIN Cooperation Programme in Marine Biology and Sustainable Development For East Africa (854), established in 2009 at the University of Dar Es-Salaam (United Republic of Tanzania) and the Bangor University, Wales (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland).
Marine biology, coastal sciences, gender equality in higher education, higher education and environment sustainable development, reduction of poverty and hunger.
The main objectives of the Cooperation Programme are to:
- Promote an integrated system of research, training, information and documentation in the field of marine biology and sustainable development for East Africa, in particular, strengthening capacity in education, research and provision of advisory services for the exploration and sustainable exploration of marine and coastal resources at the local, national, regional and international levels;
- Take a holistic approach to providing a regional network that integrates conservation and sustainable use and management of marine resources, with the cultural and societal development of communities sharing the coast;
- Facilitate capacity building in marine research, training and policy advice, initially trough partnership research and training in Tanzania, with a long term development objective of establishing a Regional Pole of Excellence in Marine Sciences and Technology to serve the East Africa coastal community;
- Create a video-conference link between the Network institutions;
- Improve networking and the exchange of marine sciences information between partner institutions, specifying north-south and south-south co-operation;
- Develop the management of research, education, and knowledge exchange between partners and local, national, regional and international communities.
- University of Dar Es-Salaam (United Republic of Tanzania)
- University of Bangor (U.K.)
UNESCO Sector/Office responsible for the Chair/Network
Natural Sciences, UNESCO Office in Nairobi, UNESCO Cluster Office in Dar Es-Salaam.
Dr Margareth S. Kyewalyanga, University of Dar Es-Salaam
E-Mail address - director(at)ims.udsm.ac.tz
Work Phone - +255 24 223-2128
Fax - +255 24 223-3050
Street - - P.O. Box 668
City - Zanzibar
Country - United Republic of Tanzania
Dr John Turner, School of Ocean Sciences, Bangor University
UNITWIN Network Coordinator
E-Mail address - J.turner(at)bangor.ac.uk
Work Phone - +44 (0) 1248 382881
Fax - +44 (0) 1248 716367
Street - Menai Bridge, Anglesey
City - Wales
Postal Code - LL59 5AB
Country - United Kingdom