UNESCO Chair in Desert Studies and Desertification Control (119), established in 1994 at Yarmouk University (Jordan).
- Geosciences; Hydrology; Sociology.
To further assist an integrated system of research, training, information and documentation activities in the field, with a view to deepening, broadening, and extending the concepts of desert studies and desertification control to encompass the following fields:
- quaternary geology of deserts;
- sedimentology ;
- geophysical, geochemical and hydrogeological exploration of desert environments, with emphasis on water resources harvesting;
- biological (botanical and zoological) desert ecology;
- archaeological excavations in deserts;
- desert anthropology and sociology, with emphasis on planning and development of Bedouin settlements;
- desertification tracking and control.
UNESCO Sector/Office responsible for the Chair/Network
Contact: Dr. Eng. Ahmed A. Al-Taani
Yarmouk University, Faculty of Sciences
Work Phone - 962 2 271 100 / ext.2921
Fax - 962 2 724 7983
City - Irbid
Postal Code - 21163