UNESCO Chair in Desertification (555), established in 2001 at the University of Khartoum (Sudan).
Desertification and desert cultivation.
- Reinforcement of the University’s teaching and research capabilities so that it may efficiently undertake its postgraduate and in-service training programmes in desertification and desert cultivation (DDC).
- Development of qualified staff in DDC to contribute effectively to national, sub regional and regional efforts to combat desertification.
- Implementation of coordinated national research projects in DDC, ensuring that they are integrated within the National Action Programme of Sudan in relation to the UN Convention to Combat Desertification (CCD).
- Development of specific, effective and coordinated activities and cooperation at all levels for achieving the objectives of the Chair.
- Strengthening training and research capabilities of the University, and of departments, centres, and institutions in universities contributing to the Chair’s research programme.
- Establishment of an international centre of excellence for postgraduate training research and documentation in the domain of desertification and desert cultivation.
- Development of pilot scheme(s) for testing, validating and demonstrating the use of modern and traditional technology in combating desertification.
Progress Report 2007-2008 (short version)
UNESCO Sector/Office responsible for the Chair/Network
Natural Sciences, UNESCO Cairo Office.
Dr El Tayeb Alhag Ali Ahmed , UNESCO Chairholder, University of Khartoum, Desertification and Desert Cultivation Studies Institute
E-Mail address - eehag3(at)yahoo.com
Work Phone - 249 904-085-5773
Street - Al Karib St.
City - Khartoum
Country - Sudan