UNESCO/Cousteau Ecotechnie Chair in Antarctic and Southern Ocean Environmental Sciences (755), established in 2007 at the University of Tasmania (Australia).
Southern Ocean Marine Science, Antarctic and Southern Ocean Education, Antarctic and Southern Ocean Policy and Management.
- The purpose of the Chair shall be to promote an integrated system of research, training, information and documentation in the field of Southern Ocean Marine Science, Antarctic and Southern Ocean Education, Antarctic and Southern Ocean Policy and Management.
- It will serve as a means of facilitating collaboration between high-level, internationally recognized researchers and teaching staff of the University and other institutions in Australia, Asia and the Pacific, Europe and North America.
The objectives of its activities shall be:
- To produce expertly trained scientists with international experience and skills in research and its application to areas of Antarctic science and policy.
- To develop international opportunities in Antarctic education and to develop new and innovative Antarctic courses.
- To develop clear articulation of pathways between degrees to encourage student and staff mobility, and to share teaching resources between partner universities.
- Expand engagement of the international scientific community in Antarctic and Southern Ocean research and education.
- To foster interdisciplinary studies between the marine sciences, and social sciences in the context of Antarctica and the Southern Ocean.
- To synthesise existing multidisciplinary Southern Ocean data sets.
- To enhance opportunities in the field of Antarctic biotechnology and emerging technologies in ocean science..
- University of Tasmania. Website
- UNESCO Cousteau Ecotechnie Chairs
- The Cousteau Society (France). Web site
UNESCO Sector/Office responsible for the Chair/Network
Prof Andrew McMinn, University of Tasmania
UNESCO Chairholder, Director, Institute of Antarctic and Southern Ocean Studies, University of Tasmania
E-Mail address - andrew.mcminn(at)utas.edu.au
Work Phone - (03) 6226 2980
Fax - (03) 6226 2973
Street - Private Bag 51
City - Hobart
Postal Code - 7001
Country - Tasmania-AUTRALIA