UNESCO Chair on Community Media (955), established in 2011 at the University of Hyderabad (India).
The specific objectives of this Chair are to:
- research and document good community media practices in the country, and provide inputs based on research feedback to stakeholders on issues such as community participation, community mobilization practices, financial and social sustainability, appropriate content, participatory monitoring and evaluation;
- establish an open access repository of media content online, which would provide key information related to licensing, policy, production of content and technology options to community-based organizations around the country;
- build capacities of community members to operate media;
- provide ongoing training on community mobilization, content development, programming, and management of community media outlets in India; and,
- engage with policy-makers and practitioners to sustain a democratic and citizen-friendly community media landscape in India.
UNESCO Sector/Office responsible for the Chair/Network
UNESCO Contact: Ms Mirta Lorenço:m.lourenco(at)unesco.org
Prof. Vinod Pavarala, UNESCO Chairholder
The University of Hyderabad
Dean, Sarojini Naidu School of Arts and Communication
E-mail: vpsn(at)uohyd.ernet.in; vpavarala(at)gmail.com