UNESCO Chair on Education for Sustainable Development (926), established in 2011 at Urgench State University (UrSU), Khorezm (Uzbekistan)
Education for sustainable development.
Within the framework of the United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (UNDESD, 2005-2014), the specific objectives of this Chair are to:
- foster an increased quality of teaching and learning in education for sustainable development (ESD);
- facilitate networking, linkages and exchanges of interaction among different stakeholders in the region;
- provide new opportunities to incorporate ESD into education reform efforts in the country using an integrated and systematic approach in formal and informal education at all levels, in particular through the development of effective pedagogical approaches, curricula, learning materials and education leadership development;
- promote evidence-informed policy dialogue on ESD drawing upon relevant research, monitoring and evaluation strategies; and,
- develop institutional mechanisms during the UNDESD and other ongoing Decades that will ensure the implementation of ESD beyond the Decades.
UNESCO Sector/Office responsible for the Chair/Network
Contact: Professor Paul Vlek , UNESCO Chairholder
Urgench State University
14, Khamid Alimdjan street