UNESCO Chair in preventive conservation, monitoring and maintenance of monuments and sites (844), established in 2009 at the Catholic University of Leuven (Belgium).
Preventive conservation, monitoring and maintenance of monuments and sites.
The major purpose of this Chair shall be to:
- Exchange research results, educational experiences and good practices related to the preservation of built heritage based on preventive conservation, maintenance and monitoring;
- Further develop methodologies and management strategies for heritage preservation organizations in various countries, as well as the UNESCO World Heritage Centre;
- Enhance monitoring capacities of World Heritage Sites with special emphasis on Least Developing Countries (LDC);
- Build capacities through scientific research projects and training programmes, and through the diffusion of support material (e.g. publication on paper and web).
- This approach should be inter-sectoral aiming at integrating preventive conservation in social, cultural and educational activities contributing to sustainable management of heritage sites.
- Activities will be designed to raise community awareness of heritage conservation monitoring and maintenance and special efforts will be made to ensure that these activities will be open to other countries, especially LDCs.
UNESCO Sector/Office responsible for the Chair/Network
Prof Koenraad Van Balen, UNESCO Chairholder
The Catholic University of Leuven
Phone: +32 (0)16/32.17.48
Fax: +32 (0)16/32.19.83