UNESCO Chair in Food and Environment Biotechnology for sustainable development (BIODEV) (578), established in 2002 at the University of Provence(Aix-Marseille 1), (France).
Food and environment biotechnology.
- To promote an integrated system of research, distance education, training and documentation activities in the field of food and environment biotechnology for sustainable development.
- To facilitate collaboration between the high level researchers and the internationally recognized professors of the University, the INRA (Institut National de Recherche Agronomique) and the IRD (Institut de Recherche pour le Développement) and the other participating teaching and research institutions.
- The research activities will be related to the protection and development of the microbial genetic heritage from targeted biotopes (in particular tropical and extreme biotopes) of the sectors that constitute the intercontinental network. These research activities will lead to the creation of micro-organisms genetic resources banks. Specific research activities will be undertaken in each geographical area concerned (Asia, North Africa and South America).
- A system of distance education structured in complementary modules will be set up.
- These studies will be sanctioned by an international certificate of biotechnology issued by the University.
UNESCO Sector/Field Office responsible for the Chair/Network
- Progress Report 2002-2007 (short version)
Activities of the UNESCO in Food and Environment Biotechnology for sustainable development (BIODEV), University of Provence (Aix-Marseille 1). (Only available in French).
Dr Marc Labat, Université de ProvenceIFR86-IBAIM (IFR-Biotechnologie Agro-Industrielle de Marseille)
UNESCO Chairholder, UNESCO Chair in Food and Environment Biotechnology for sustainable development (BIODEV)
E-Mail address - marc.labat(at)esil.univmed.fr
Work Phone - 33 (0)4 91 82 85 85/ 04 91 82 85 77
Fax - 33 (0)4 91 82 85 70
Street - 163 Avenue de Luminy
City - Marseille Cedex 9
Postal Code - 13288
Country - France