UNESCO Chair/International Network of Water-Environment Centres for the Balkans on "Sustainable Management of Water and Conflict Resolution" (618), established in 2003 at Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Greece).
Sustainable water management.
The principal objectives of the Cooperation Programme are:
- To promote an integrated system of research, training, demonstration, information and documentation activities in the field of meteorology, water management, chemistry, biology, ecology, environmental sciences, economy, education, international law and sociology”.
- To provide, advise and expertise to assist all countries particularly the least developed, in order:
- To establish truly intersectoral pilot projects.
- To facilitate links between local, regional and global levels, and harmonizing top-down and bottom-up approaches whilst taking into account social issues.
- To promote training and professional development in the Balkans region by providing distance learning.
- To develop an inventory of existing transboundary monitoring systems.
- To create and maintain a database on water and the environment by use of official, validated national data complementary to the EUROWATERNET, related to transboundary water bodies (rivers, lakes and coastal waters).
- To develop methods for evaluating and applying science and technology.
- To facilitate the international recognition of qualifications.
- To develop guidelines and protocols for the prevention of potential conflicts and the resolution of existing conflicts over water resources and values.
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Greece)
- Hydrometeorological Institute (Tirana, Albania)
- University of Ss. Cyril and Methodius (Skopje, The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYR of Macedonia)
- Hydro-Engineering Institute (Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina)
- University of Architecture, Civil Engineering and Geodesy (Sofia, Bulgaria)
- University of Split (Split, Croatia);
- University of Ljubljana (Ljubljana, Slovenia)
- Istanbul Technical University (Istanbul, Turkey)
- University of Belgrade (Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro)
- National Water Administration “Apele Romane” (Bucharest, Romania)
UNESCO Sector/Field Office responsible for the Chair/Network
Prof. Jacques Ganoulis, Hydraulics Laboratory, Civil Engineering Department,Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
Coordinator of the UNESCO Chair/ International Network of Water-Environment Centres for the Balkans on “Sustainable Management of Water and Conflict Resolution”
E-Mail address - iganouli(at)civil.auth.gr
Work Phone - +30-2310-99.56.82
Fax - +30-2310-99.56.81
City - Thessaloniki
Postal Code - 54124
Country - Greece