UNESCO Chair on Natural Hazards in the Geosphere, the Hydrosphere and the Atmosphere (751), established in 2006 at the National Observatory of Athens (Greece).
Fields / Disciplines
Earth Sciences, Geophysics, Natural Hazards, Civil engineering.
- The purpose of the Chair shall be to promote an integrated system of research, training, information and documentation in the field of natural hazards in the geosphere, hydrosphere and the atmosphere
- It will serve as a means of facilitating collaboration between high-level, internationally recognized researchers and teaching staff of the University and other institutions in Greece and elsewhere in Europe and North America, and in other regions of the world
- The purpose of this Chair shall also be:
- to promote community development and capacity-building in emergency preparedness and response through education and training with traditional curricula, distance learning and hands-on training;
- to enhance opportunities to develop sub-regional and regional cooperation networks, based at the coordinating institution, in understanding and providing information about natural hazards.
UNESCO Sector/Office responsible for the Chair/Network
Prof. Christos S. Zerefos, National Observatory of Athens
E-Mail address - zerefos(at)geol.uoa.gr
Work Phone - +30-210-349-01-02/+30-210-810-91-04
Fax - +30-210-349-01-20
Street - P.O. BOX 20048 Thissio
City - Athens
Postal Code - 11810
Country - Greece