UNESCO Chair in the protection of Biodiversity of Forest Ecosystems in the Context of Sustainable Development (846), established in 2009 at the Voronezh State Academy of Forestry Engineering (Russian Federation)
Biodiversity and sustainable development of forest ecosystems.
The specific objectives are:
- To develop curriculum and teaching materials based on the results of scientific research, and to provide grants to young specialists for graduate-level training in environment issues.
- To develop international cooperation and joint research in forest ecosystems and sustainable management of drought areas.
- To generalize the results of research in dry areas, and estimate the level of sustainable development of forest ecosystems and their management, taking into consideration the protection of generic species and ecosystem diversity.
- To carry out multilateral initiatives on restoration of anthropogenic and transformed forest ecosystems in areas of insufficient moistening.
- To address the potential impacts of climate change on forest ecosystems, their biodiversity, and the hydrological cycle; measurements and monitoring of forest carbon stocks and opportunities and constraints for promoting economic incentives for sustainable forest use through carbon markets.
- To examine issues related to traditional knowledge and the sustainable management of forest ecosystem.
The Voronezh State Academy of Forestry Engineering
UNESCO Sector/Office responsible for the Chair/Network:
Natural Sciences, UNESCO Office in Moscow
Contact: Prof. Vladimir Bugakov, UNESCO Chairholder
Rector of the Voronezh State Academy of Forestry Engineering
E-Mail address - forest.vrn(at)gmail.com
Work Phone: +7 (4732) 538-411
Street - Timiryazeva str. 8
City - Voronezh
Postal Code - 394613
Country - Russian Federation