UNITWIN Network on Water Resources (870), established in 2009 at Irkutsk State University, Irkutsk (Russian Federation)
Fields/Disciplines: Hydrology, Aquatic Systems and Ecohydrology
To promote an integrated system of research, training, information and documentation activities in the fields of hydrology, aquatic systems and ecohydrology; To provide advice and expertise in water sciences to all countries, particularly the least developed, in Europe, Asia and the Arab States.
The focus of its activities will be:
- To establish long-term cooperation among partner universities for institutional capacity-building in hydrology, aquatic systems and ecohydrology;
- To facilitate links between the member institutions through the development of interaction and collaboration among partner universities, as well as among related UNIWIN Networks, through joint programmes, visiting professorships and student mobility;
- To help members of the Cooperation Programme to establish an international cooperative research and training programme in hydrology, aquatic systems and ecohydrology;
- To ensure the academic mobility of faculty staff and students with the aim of carrying out exchanges and establishing postgraduate teaching programmes between the participating higher educational institutions;
- To facilitate the development and use of information and communication technologies;
- To enable Cooperation Programme members to update and upgrade their capacities through linkages with other universities in Europe, Asia, the Arab State and other regions of the world.
UNESCO Sector/Office responsible for the Chair/Network:
Natural Sciences, UNESCO Office in Moscow
Contact: Professor Alexander I. Smirnov, Rector, Irkutsk State University
1 K. Marx St
Tel: + 395-2 24.34.53
Fax: + 395-2 24.22.38