The “Wise Coastal Practices For Sustainable Human Development, Europe Region” (WICOP-EUROPE) Network (588), established in 2002 at the University of Cádiz (Spain).
Sustainable Human Development.
- To promote an integrated system of research, training, demonstration, information and documentation activities in the field of “Integrated Management and Sustainable Development in Coastal Regions and in Small Islands”.
To provide advice and expertise to assist all countries in:
- Establishing truly intersectoral pilot projects.
- Facilitating links between local, regional and global levels, harmonization between top-down and bottom-up approaches, and complementarities among societal domains.
- Providing scientific-technological and socio-cultural support for pilot projects.
- Enhancing interdisciplinary research, education and training and the use of new information and communication technologies; etc.
- Strengthening local and indigenous knowledge systems and facilitating, where applicable, their equitable articulation with scientific-technological knowledge.
- Developing methods for evaluating and applying wise coastal practices for sustainable human development.
- Recognizing higher education qualifications.
- Developing guidelines and protocols for the prevention and resolution of conflicts over coastal resources and values.
- University of Cadiz. Website
- University of Bologna (Italy). Website
- University of Latvia, Riga (Latvia). Website
- University of Aveiro (Portugal). Website
- Russian State Hydro-meteorological University (St. Petersburg, Russian Federation). Website
UNESCO Sector/Office responsible for the Chair/Network
Natural Sciences; Social and Human Sciences.
Dr T. Ángel del Valls Casillas, Facultad de Ciencias del Mar y Ambientales, Universidad de Cádiz
E-Mail address - angel.valls(at)uca.es
Work Phone - 34 956 01 60 44/ 61 59
Fax - 34 956 01 60 40
Street - Polígono Río San Pedro, s/n, C/ Casem República Saharahui, s/n
City - Puerto Real
Postal Code - 11500
Country - Spain