UNESCO Chair on Education for Sustainable Development (957), established in 2012 at The Earth Charter Center for Education for Sustainable Development and the University of Peace (Costa Rica)
Education for sustainable development.
The specific objectives of this Chair are to:
- undertake research and develop appropriate resource materials and training opportunities for educators and policymakers on education for sustainable development in coordination with a network of organizations;
- collaborate with universities and other education and research centers in the implementation of the United Nations Decade on Education for
- sustainable Development to enhance the process of incorporating values of sustainability into educational settings;
- design learning courses and training materials, provide training for various groups and organize workshops on ethics and sustainability;
- offer hands-on training on tools for ethics-based evaluation processes based on the Earth Charter; and,
- facilitate partnerships and knowledge-sharing among stakeholders in education for sustainable development.
UNESCO Sector/Office responsible for the Chair/Network
Mr John Maresca, Rector
The University of Peace (UPEACE)
7km Oeste de Ciudad Colon
Ms Mirian Vilela, Executive Director
The Earth Charter Center for Education for Sustainable Development at the UPEACE