The Small Island States Universities Consortium on Capacity-Building to implement the Barbados Programme of Action (BPOA)(719), established in 2006 at the University of the West Indies, Secretariat to the Consortium.
Climate change, natural and environmental disasters, management waste and resources management, culture and sustainable living and development.
The principal objectives of the Cooperation Programme are to promote an integrated system of research, training, information and documentation activities for implementation of the BPOA and the Mauritius Strategy and to cooperate with all participating countries to:
- develop and implement a graduate programme that will provide a more integrated set of course offerings in vulnerability reduction in Small Island Developing States (SIDS);
- review and design training programmes for capacity-building to implement the BPOA and the Mauritius Strategy that are relevant to the needs of SIDS, ensuring that the training that will be provided will meet the requirements for sustainable development in the communities;
- develop visions, values and skills that will motivate and equip participants to become actively involved in advocating for and implementing sustainable development measures;
- develop methods of research programmes which aim specifically at identifying, assessing and monitoring risks and vulnerabilities through an inter-disciplinary and cross-sectoral approach;
- enable Consortium members to convene a core committee of professors and administrators from the participating universities to further develop the substantive and procedural agenda.
- University of the Virgin Islands. Website
- University of the West Indies. Website
- Universities of Mauritius, Malta and the South Pacific.
UNESCO Sector/Office responsible for the Chair/Network
Natural Sciences, UNESCO Kingston Office.
- Progress Report 2006-2007 (short version)
Activities of the Small Island States Universities Consortium on Capacity-Building.
Dr Fazal Ibrahim Ali, The University of the West Indies, School of Graduate Studies and Research
Coordinator of the Network
E-Mail address - fail(at)admin.uwi.tt
Work Phone - 1 868 4 88 33 66 /1 868 645 0573
Fax - 1 868 645 05 73
Street - Sir Frank Stockdale Building,St. Augustine Campus
City - Trinidad,West Indies
Country - WEST INDIES