Guidelines and Procedures
The Guidelines and Procedures for the UNITWIN/UNESCO Chairs Programme constitute a set of basic rules to be followed in order to maximize the benefits of the programme.
The Guidelines and Procedures aim at clarifying and defining the criteria and procedures governing the establishment and functioning of a UNESCO Chair or UNITWIN Network.
Since the adoption of new strategic orientations for the UNITWIN Programme by the Executive Board at its 176th session in April 2007, emphasis has been laid on:
- the dual function of UNESCO Chairs and UNITWIN Networks as "think tanks" and "bridge builders" between the academic world, civil society, local communities, research and policy-making;
- aligning the new UNESCO Chairs and UNITWIN Networks with UNESCO’s priorities as defined in its Medium-Term Strategy for 2008-2013;
- strengthening North-South, South-South and North-South-South cooperation;
- creating poles of excellence and innovation at the regional or subregional level;
- reinforcing the dynamism of networks and partnerships.
Accordingly, this document supersedes earlier guidelines. Its aim is to assist all interested parties in taking the steps needed to participate optimally in the UNITWIN/UNESCO Chairs Programme and to make the most of its the benefits.
The applications for the establishment of new UNESCO Chairs must be received by 30 April of each year. Please note that applications received after the April 30 deadline will be considered in the group for the following year.