UNESCO Chair in Eremology (792), established in 2007 at Ghent University (Belgium). Uniquement disponible en anglais.
Desertification and dryland management.
- The purpose of the Chair shall be to promote an integrated system of research, training, information and documentation in the field of eremology. It will serve as a means of facilitating collaboration between high-level, internationally recognized researchers and teaching staff of the University and other institutions in Belgium and elsewhere in Europe and North America, and in other regions of the world.
The specific objectives of this Chair are:
- to promote and coordinate the study of drylands and to provide technological and scientific innovation to improve the management of drylands;
- to serve as a means to facilitate the collaboration between high level internationally recognized researchers and lecturers and senior undergraduate and graduate students with basic academic credentials;
- to help accelerate the improvement of neglected regional and national areas trough the application of desert sciences, management of the drylands, water-use efficiency and physical soil through the application processes in drylands;
- to support capacity-building of universities, institutes and research centres active in the field of desertification and dryland management.
UNESCO Sector/Office responsible for the Chair/Network
Mr Donald Gabriels, Ghent University, Department of Soil Management and Soil care, Faculty of BioSciences Engineering
UNESCO Chairholder, UNESCO Chair in Eremology
E-Mail address - donald.gabriels(at)rug.ac.be
Work Phone - 32-9-264 60 50 /264 60 36
Fax - (32) 9 264 62 47
Street - Coupure links 653
City - Ghent
Postal Code - 9000
Country - Belgium