To Unesco home page

To sitemap

To MAB home page title2.gif (2287 bytes)
      Biosphere Reserve Information



Photo: Baotianman BR
  General Description   Baotianman is located in Heinen Province in the headwaters of the Yangze, Huaihe and Yellow Rivers. It falls in the transition region between the northern sub-tropical areas and the warm temperate areas. Biologically, this is one of the richest sites in China where numerous plant and animal species are raised, notably for food and traditional medicine. There are five villages within the biosphere reserve with a total population of about 4,000 people in 2001. About 85% of the population are of Han origin and the remaining 15% Mongolian and Hui. They make a living from collecting Chinese medicinal plants, selling wild fruits, making tea using native plant species (e.g. Rabdosia rubescens, Gynostemma pentaphyllum), and cultivating edible mushrooms. Commercial forestry is also being developed. However, farming is still the most important activity in and around the biosphere reserve. Baotianman is involved in the Chinese Biosphere Reserve Network and close relationships are built up with other natural reserves in order to share experience in management, involvement in scientific research projects and information exchange.
  Major ecosystem type   Oriental deciduous forest
  Major habitats & land cover types   Coniferous and deciduous broadleaf mixed forest with evergreen trees component including Quercus variabilis, Q. aliena var. acuteserrata, Platycarya strobilacea etc; deciduous broadleaf forest characterized by Quercus aliena var. acuteserrata, Q. aliena, Populus davidiana, Betula platyphylla etc.; top mountain shrub or bush ecosystem including Betula chinensis, Rhododendron purdomii, Pinus armandii etc.; Macrocarpum officinalis plantations; pasture land, agroecosystems
  Location   3318' to 3335'N; 11136' to 11210'E
  Area (hectares)    
  Total   90,950
  Core area(s)   25,250
  Buffer zone(s)   30,600
  Transition area(s) when given   35,100
  Altitude (metres above sea level)   +360 to +1,830
  Year designated   2001
  Administrative authorities   Baotianman Biosphere Reserve reporting to the Chinese National Forestry Agency at the Henan Province Forestry Office
  Brief description   Climatology research and monitoring
Wild animal rescue station
Planned gene bank of Magnolia liliflora
Socio-economic research: Cooperative development model between natural reserve and its surroundings (GEF financed project)
  Specific variables...    
  Abiotic   Climate, monitoring/methodologies.
  Biodiversity   Conservation, flora, genetic resources, wildlife.
  Socio-economic   Modelling, social/socio-economic aspects.
  Integrated monitoring   Sustainable development/Sustainable use.
  Contact address   Zhu Xueling
Baotianman National Leveled Nature Reserve Management Bureau
No.54, Tuanhe Road, Tuandong, Chengguan Town, Neixiang County
474350 Henan Province
  Telephone   (86.377) 6 531 3938
  Fax   (86.377) 6 531 3938

Last updated: 12/12/2007

To topTo MAB home pageTo UNESCO