Global Consultation on Education in the Post-2015 agenda
The Global Consultation on Education will take place from 18 to 19 March in Dakar, Senegal. Co-organized by UNESCO and UNICEF, it aims to:
- review progress in education since 2000,
- identify emerging priorities and cross-cutting issues,
- outline options for ensuring that education is effectively addressed in the Post-2015 development agenda.
The meeting will bring together representatives of Ministries of Education around the world, as well as education experts UN agencies, civil society and youth organizations and the private sector. UNESCO's Assistant Director-General for Education, Mr Qian Tang will attend the Consultation.
It is organized with the support of the Governments of Senegal, Canada and Germany
The Global Consultation is the culmination of a series of consultations at regional level and global levels, as well as global online discussions over the past six months.
- Five regional meetings on education have mobilized governments in the Arab States (Sharm el-Sheikh) , Sub Saharan Africa (Johannesburg) , Latin American and Caribbean (Mexico City) and Asia and the Pacific (Bangkok). The meetings took place between October 2012 and February 2013.
- A meeting of Education NGOs was held in Paris in October 2012, and a side event on the post 2015 agenda was held at the Global EFA Meeting in Paris in November 2012.
- The online Education platform and ensuing four e-discussions on education was launched in December 2012 and will run until March 2013. The first two e-discussions received over 300 contributions, with over 90% from individuals from all regions of the world. Summary discussion reports are being prepared for each e-discussion.
The two-day consultation in Dakar will be devoted to group work sessions to discuss options for addressing education in the post-2015 development agenda. The recommendations from the overall education consultation process will be taken forward by decision-makers in inter-governmental discussions in events leading up to 2015.
Part of global discussion
The Global Consultation on Education is one of 11 thematic consultations identified as key in the global post-2015 discussion jointly organized by various UN entities and with support from Civil Society Organizations and other international organizations and specifically devoted to area of education.
It is part of the global discussion on the post-2015 development agenda which is facilitated by the United Nations Development Group, including more than 50 national consultations and 11 global thematic consultations.
<- Back to: News