Communication & Information
UNESCO's overall objective through its current program of work on Communication and Information (CI) is to promote the free flow of ideas by word and image, while broadening access to this information in order to:
- Ensure the free flow of information conducive to advancement of societies and their democratic functioning;
- Help ensure equitable access to opportunities for sharing knowledge and promoting the creativity that technologies provide;
- Assist Arab member states in building up their skills in communication and information; to improve infrastructures - media, libraries, archives, information services and networks - and to promote the training of professionals.
In striving to reach program goals, UNESCO's CI Program pursues the following strategies:
- Promoting meetings for the cooperative development of projects and programs;
- Fostering education and sustainable training in information science; Promoting Freedom of the Press - building on the advances in the region;
- Providing a visionary evaluation device; Forging institutional networks for research, workshops and seminars;
- Promoting electronic equipment for information service handling.