A cluster office covers a group of countries and is the central component in the field, around which are organized national offices and regional bureaux.
The 27 cluster offices, covering 148 Member States, represent the main supporting structure of UNESCO Secretariat’s network in the field.
A cluster office must ensure interaction:
- between the Member States of its cluster in the Organization’s fields of competence
- with other United Nations agencies in the context of joint programming frameworks
- between each Member State within its remit and the other components of the Secretariat network, in particular by fostering links of solidarity with the National Commission
- between each Member State within its remit and the international community
- with the other Secretariat units
- between the sectors and disciplines.