2010 - International Year of Biodiversity
The International Year of Biodiversity 2010 is a global campaign designed to encourage worldwide action to safeguard biodiversity.
The United Nations General Assembly declared that 2010 will be the International Year of Biodiversity (IYB) and will help raise awareness on the importance of biodiversity all over the world. It is an opportunity to:
- Stressing the importance of biodiversity for human well-being.
- Reflecting on our achievements to safeguard biodiversity so far.
- Redoubling efforts to reduce the rate of biodiversity loss.
Saving biodiversity requires effort from everyone. Through activities around the world, the global community will be able to work together to ensure a sustainable future for all of us.
The Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity is the focal point for the International Year of Biodiversity. Established at the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro in 1992, the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) is an international treaty for the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity and the equal sharing of its multiple benefits. With 191 members, the CBD has near-universal participation.
This is a significant challenge. To be successful, we need to inspire action from all sectors, all over the world. Therefore, we need to work together!
The International Year of Biodiversity 2010 aims to reflect on the actions already taken and celebrate the successes achieved so far. For this purpose, we intend to build a platform on knowledge about what biodiversity means and why safeguarding it is so important. The platform will able you to send your own message.
We would like to help all those who work on safeguarding biodiversity. Above all, we would like to ensure that all “calls for action” are as effective as possible and that all plans to protect biodiversity beyond 2010 can start with strength enough to continue.
- Official Website of 2010 International Year of Biodiversity
- Brazilian Campaign for the International Year of Biodiversity (30 second-video in You Tube - in Portuguese)
- Enterview with Gisele Bündchen for UN Radio - Brazilian UNEP Goodwill Ambassador in Campaign for the International Year of Biodiversity (audio in Portuguese)