Education Programme in UNESCO Cairo Office aims at the creation of a new vision for quality education. A vision that is broad and holistic, including both formal and non-formal education.
The mission of the Programme is to improve the quality of education through:
- Technical advice
- Standard setting
- Innovative projects
Major Areas of Focus 2008-2009:
- Supporting Education for All (EFA), ensuring better coordination and providing assistance to Member States to achieve the EFA goals and education-related MDGs based on the Global Action Plan (GAP)
- Promoting quality education for all at all levels of education and in both formal and non-formal education throughout life, with particular emphasis on vulnerable and disadvantaged groups
These priorities have been translated into expected results aiming at building leadership and establishing frameworks and networks for capacity building.
The programme seeks to promote policy dialogue, research, norms and standards, capacity development and technical support to assist national efforts in achieving the EFA Goals.
Key priorities for 2008-2009:
- Promoting south-south cooperation with focus on E9 initiative
- Promoting research and knowledge sharing
- Effective implementation of UNESCO National Education Support Strategy (UNESS)
- Effective implementation of Literacy Initiative For Empowerment (LIFE)
- Capacity building of national counterparts for meeting the Education For All (EFA) targets