Facts and Figures
The cost of this ambitious international project is around US $220 million. This does not include the cost of the land, the Conference Center, Consultant fees and GOAL's budget that were donated by the Government of Egypt and are estimated at US $182 million.
The Library construction cost is approximated at US $169 million, while both book collections and periodicals are costed at about US $31 million and the cost of equipment about US $20 million.
- Total site area: 45,000 m²
- Total Library floor areas: 85,000 m²
- No. of floors: 11
- No. of seats: 3500
- No. of volumes: 4-8 million
- No. of maps: 50,000
- No. of manuscripts: 50,000
- No. of electronic applications: 30 data bases
- No. of of rare books: 10,000
- No. of electronic materials: 100 CD-ROM titles
- No. of musical media: 200,000 disks/tapes
- No. of audio-visual material: 50,000 disks/videos
- No. of staff: 578
Complex includes: a library that can accomodate between four and eight million books; a center for internet connectivity and Internet Archive; three museums; five research institutes; a planatarium; two permanent exhibitions; six art galleries; a Conference Center for 3200 persons, an International School of Information Studies, a Calligraphy Institute and a Manuscript Restoration Laboratory.