Location

The Bibliotheca Alexandrina lies alongside the University of Alexandria Faculty of Arts campus, in Shatby, and overlooks the Mediterranean Sea along a substantial portion of its northern frontage.

At Selsela, it is almost the same site of the ancient library-museum complex within the Royal Quarter, in the district then known as the Brocheum, where a few remains of the Graceo-Roman civilization were recently uncovered and are displayed in the Library museum.

At the panoramic vista across the circular Eastern Port stands diametrically and serenely the old Mameluke Citadel of Qait Bey, built in 1480 on the site of the famous Pharos Lighthouse.

Back to top