- Negotiations with consultants
- Acquisition of 40,000 volumes
- Establishment of the Executive Secretariat
- The Norwegian Team began preliminary design studies;
- Project Technical Development and the preparation of the executive design and tender.
- Acquisition of 30,000 volumes.
- Announcement of International Tender for the project execution.
- Acquisition of 40,000 volumes.
- Training programmes for the Library staff and recruitment of various library expertise.
- Construction activities (foundation and super-structure).
- Acquisition of 60,000 volumes.
- Scholarships for Masters and Ph.D studies in the library and information fields.
- Landscape works;
- Preparing and finishing internal systems;
- Equipment and furnishings.
- Transfer of new acquisitions of 200,000 volumes to the new Library.
- Tests and preliminary operations of equipment and Library functioning.
October 16, 2002: Official inauguration of the Bibliotheca Alexandrina.