Cultural diversity and identity (C8)
Cultural and linguistic diversity, while stimulating respect for cultural identity, traditions and religions, is essential to the development of an Information Society based on the dialogue among cultures and regional and international cooperation. It is an important factor for sustainable development.
UNESCO emphasises the value of cultural and linguistic diversity in all its work. It is also concerned to ensure that new media platforms make content available which is relevant to the lives of all communities and individuals, including the poor and marginalised. Content of local relevance, and content which is locally produced, are important in this context.
Action Line C8 has brought together stakeholders that are concerned with these aspects of access to knowledge, and has focused in particular on heritage, local content, linguistic diversity and disability.
>> Read Full text about this action line (ITU website)
Related UNESCO Programmes and Activities
- Linguistic diversity and multilingualism on Internet
- Local and Indigenous Knowledge Systems
- UNESCO Interactive Atlas of the World’s Languages in Danger
Related WSIS Facilitation Meetings:
As an interim focal point for several Action Lines, UNESCO participates in consultation meetings on facilitation of action lines.
- Sixth consultation on Action Line C8 "Indigenous Peoples, Education and ICTs"
17 May 2011, WSIS Forum 2011
- Fifth consultation on Action Line C8 "Multilingualism":
10 May 2010, WSIS Forum 2010
- Thematic workshop “Indigenous Peoples” - A thematic workshop:
11 May 2010, WSIS Forum 2010
- Fourth consultation on Action Line C8 "Cultural diversity and identity": 18 May 2009, WSIS Forum 2009
- Third consultation on Action Line C8 "Cultural diversity and identity":
20 May 2008, Geneva, Switzerland
- Second consultation on Action Line C8 "Cultural diversity and identity":
24 May 2007, Geneva, Switzerland
- First Consultation meeting on WSIS Action Line C8 "Cultural diversity and identity":
12 May 2006, Geneva, Switzerland