Fourth facilitation meeting on Action Line C9 ''Media''
19 May 2009 (16:00-17:30), ITU, Room A, Montbrillant Building - Geneva, Switzerland
The facilitation meeting concentrated on the follow up implementation review of the salient developments in the field of media, particularly
- Promoting the freedom of expression, press freedom and legislation that guarantees the independence and plurality of the media
- Contributing to media development and capacity building
- Media Literacy Education
- Community Media and Community Multimedia Centres
The discussion was based on the multistakeholders’ implementation report provided by UNESCO in its quality of moderator of Action Line C9: Media, for which the Organization was designated as sole facilitator; as well as on the reports by Divina Frau-Meigs, Vice-President of the International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR), on the activities of the sub-group on Media Literacy Education and Mr. Steve Buckley, President of the World Association of Community Radio Broadcasters (AMARC), on activities of the second sub-group area:Community Media and Community Multimedia Centres.
The discussion included relevant reports by the stakeholders present at the meeting, questions and answers, and proposals on possible improvements
English-rench translation was offered for this meeting.
- Report of the Moderator of the Sub-Group on Community Media WSIS Action Line C9 Media
- Report on Action Line C9 Media