Fifth facilitation meeting on Action Line C9 ''Community media for disaster preparedness''
12 May 2010 (11:00-13:00), ITU, Building, Room H, Geneva
For the fifth year UNESCO convenes a facilitation meeting on Action Line C9 “Media” in its capacity of being the “facilitator”. The meeting reported on updates of the Action Line outcomes since last facilitation meeting and thereof focused debates on the specific theme “Community Media for Disaster Preparedness”.
Given community media’s big role in disaster preparedness and reduction, the meeting brought speakers from SAKS (Société d’Animation et de Communication Sociale) and AMARC (World Association of Community Radio) to share their experience in Haiti, Chili and other regions, in order to trigger discussion on how to build community media and provide vital news and information to keep citizens informed of the public response to disaster and to assist in obtaining access to aid and support.
- Ms Sylvie Coudray, Senior Program Specialist, Communication and Information Sector, UNESCO
- Ms Divina Frau-Meigs, Vice-President of the International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR)
- Mr Steve Buckley, President of the World Association of Community Radio Broadcasters (AMARC)
- Mr Sony Esteus, Directeur of SAKS (Société d’Animation et de Communication Sociale)
- Programme and Agenda
- Report from sub-group on Community Media
- Report from sub-group on Media Education
- Summary report from Action Line C9 Media
- UNESCO facilitation report on Action Line C9 Media