"Mobile Learning: Cellphones, tablets, digital textbooks, and what’s more?"
Action line: C7 E-learning
This year’s C7 session was merged with Action Line C4 capacity building hosted by ITU. The facilitation meeting focused on the rapid development of mobile learning. Specific focus was given to the opportunities and challenges that mobile learning has brought to the conventional education system as well as information learning contexts, and to learners of different generations. The meeting was moderated by Mr. Fengchun Miao, a Programme Specialist at UNESCO.
Ms. Aruna Srinivasan, Director of mEducation at the GSMA Development Fund, set the scene by describing how mobile education has the power to transform lives. Further presentations included an overview of the UNESCO regional reviews of mobile learning policies and on using mobile technologies to support teachers’ development by Mr. Steve Vosloo of UNESCO; the national digital textbook strategy of South Korea by Mr. Jongwon Seo of UNESCO; the results of a survey of 1:1 netbook implementations in six European countries by Ms. Anja Balanskat of European Schoolnet; a description of how mobile learning and mobile social media can support learners and health professionals in low resource settings by Mr. Christoph Pimmer from the University of Applied Sciences and Arts, Northwestern Switzerland; and the role of the private sector in scaling up mobile learning initiatives by Ms. Florence Gaudry-Perkins of Alcatel-Lucent.
- M-Education Presentation, Aruna Srinivasan, Director of mEducation (GSMA)[976KB]
- UNESCO Regional Review, Steve Vosloo (UNESCO)[587KB]
- SMART Education in Korea, Jongwon SEO, Programme Specialist (UNESCO)[4,547KB]
- Lessons learnt from schools in Europe, Anja Balanskat,Senior Analyst/ Project Manager (European Schoolnet)[2,671KB]
- How mobile learning and social media can support learners and health professionals in “low resource settings”, Christoph Pimmer (HSW, FHNW)[1,523KB]
- Setting the Context: WSIS Forum 2012, Fengchun Miao, Sr. Programme Specialist, ICT in Education (UNESCO)[995KB]
- mLEARNING: How Can We Accelerate and Scale, Florence Gaudry-Perkins, International Director Global Government & Public Affairs (Alcatel-Lucent)[606KB]