Developing and designing communication and information strategies for the recovery, reconstruction and democratization of Tunisian society
Through support from the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, UNESCO opened a Project Office in Tunis in January 2012 to assist the Tunisian Government in developing and designing communication and information strategies for the recovery, reconstruction, and democratization of Tunisian Society, and to assist the Constituent Assembly and civil society in creating the new Constitution.
Overview of Activities
The first project of the UNESCO Office in Tunis was the organization of the World Press Freedom Day 2012 conference in Tunis from 3 to 5 May 2012. The event was attended by over 750 people from nearly 90 countries. At the end of the conference, participants adopted the Carthage Declaration on press freedom and the safety of journalists.
Freedom of expression has been at the heart of UNESCO’s work in Tunisia. Working with international experts and local partners, UNESCO has provided technical advice and recommendations to the Tunisian National Constituent Assembly in drafting the new Constitution. In January 2014, UNESCO welcomed Tunisia’s adoption of constitutional protections for freedom of expression and freedom of information.
Among its actions in support of freedom of expression, the UNESCO Office in Tunis has also promoted the safety of journalists and the reform of the Tunisian audiovisual sector in its transition towards a public service model.
Norway’s foreign and development policy is designed to promote economic development, democratisation, implementation of human rights, good governance and measures that can lift people out of poverty for good.
|23 December 2011||31 March 2014|
- 27-01-2014 - The Director-General of UNESCO Irina Bokova welcomed the recognition of freedom of expression and information in the new Tunisian Constitution
- 13-01-2014 - UNESCO welcomes new constitutional guarantees of freedom of expression and freedom of information in Tunisia
- 04-12-2013 - Workshops on journalistic ethics for Tunisian media professionals
- 14-06-2013 - Tunisia: Enhancing cooperation between security forces and journalists
- 13-05-2013 - UNESCO applauds launch in Tunisia of independent audiovisual regulatory body
- 03-05-2013 - World Press Freedom Day celebrated in Tunisia
- 14-02-2013 - UNESCO partners with Tunisian Ministry of the Interior to improve safety of journalists
- 24-09-2012 - Tunisian Constituent Assembly and UNESCO discuss freedom of expression and information
- 05-05-2012 - Carthage Declaration insists on need to reinforce press freedom and improve safety for journalists
- 27-03-2012 - "Media Freedom Helping to Transform Society” is the theme of World Press Freedom Day 2012
- Tunisia, the road to democracy
2012 | Tunis, Tunisia