The Ministry of Education, Youth and Science has responsibility for education and research. The Bulgarian Academy of Sciences coordinates research programmes with National Science Fund as the main funder. The Parliament (Narodno sabranie) plays the key role in decision making about matters that concern the network of higher education institutions in the country.
There are currently no OA policies registered in ROARMAP at the national or institutional levels.
The major research funder in Bulgaria is the National Science Fund. Promotion of Open Access is more of an individual effort, than the result of institutional support or policy.
The Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (BAS), the coordinator of research in Bulgaria, intends to establish a network of scientific Open Access centres. Institute of Mathematics and Informatics at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (IMI-BAS) will be the coordinator of the Bulgarian network and will provide support for academic institutions and researchers. IMI-BAS launch a national project to develop the research infrastructure and digital repositories for researchers, educators, public bodies and companies who need contemporary scientific and education information and resources. This foster integration between academia, the public sector and industry strengthen the institutional links between all major research and education organizations.
Details of Key Organizations:
- New Bulgarian University (NBU). The first private and one of a kind educational institution in Bulgaria acquiring national level of excellence in higher education by adopting innovative practices and developing critical analysis. The institutional repository, based on ePrints platform is the first operating repository in Bulgaria, designed and developed to enhance access to crucial up-to-date Bulgarian research output and preserves e-production of NBU academic staff and post-graduate students. Communication address: New Bulgarian University Library, 21 Montevideo Street, Sofia 1618, Bulgaria; Repository Editor, Head of Library and Information Services Department (Mrs. Radostina Todorova); e-mail: rtodorova(at)nbu.bg; Technical Support System Librarian (Tanya Stoyanova) e-mail: tstoyanova(at)nbu.bg
- Institute of Mathematics and Informatics at Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (IMI-BAS). Main mathematical centre of excellence with high priority on research. Bulgarian Digital Mathematics Library (BulDML) at IMI-BAS is participating in a European network for mathematical repositories - the project EuDML (The Europian Digital Mathematics Library) which brings together the dispersed European heritage of digital mathematical literature in virtual collections. BulDML is based on Dspace digital depository. Currently (September 2012) there are more than 1500 publications from 6 journals and 2 proceedings. Communication address: Institute of Mathematics and Informatics, Acad. Georgi Bonchev Str., Block 8, 1113 Sofia, Bulgaria; Peter L. Stanchev, Ph.D., D.Sc. Professor and chair of Computer Systems Department, email: stanchev(at)math.bas.bg
- University of Sofia "St. Kliment Ohridski". Oldest University in Bulgaria with degree courses in sciences and humanities. Institutional depository also serves as UN documentation. Communication address: Sofia University St Kliment, 15 Tsar Osvoboditel Blvd., Sofia, Bulgaria; e-mail: lsu(at)libsu.uni-sofia.bg
- Bulgarian Information Consortium. A consortium of 38 members representing academic, public, and libraries aimed at sharing good practice and resource development. Communication address: President of the BIC Government Board Nadya Terzieva, Library Director, New Bulgarian University, 1618 Sofia, 21 А Montevideo Str., Sofia, Bulgaria; e-mail: nterzieva(at)nbu.bg
- Burgas Free University (BFU). Academic Research Repository at the Burgas Free University (BFU) - http://www.bfu.bg contains a collection of articles published in the Year-Books of BFU, articles from magazine “Biznes Posoki” and magazine “Contemporary Humanitaristics”, papers from international conferences of BFU, as well as articles, studies, papers and monographs of lecturers from BFU, published in other scientific editions.
- Bulgarian OpenAIRE Repository. OpenAIRE National Contact Point and Repository has been established by Institute of Mathematics and Informatics at Bulgarian Academy of Sciences. OpenAIRE Repository is a centralized cross-institutional repository and provides OpenAIRE compliance and free access to peer-reviewed publications resulting from ERC funded FP7 projects in Bulgaria. Communication address: e-mail: openaire[at]math.bas.bg
Open Access Publishing : There are 33 Bulgarian Open Access journals listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
Past and Future OA Related Activities:
18-21 September 2014: Digital Presentation and Preservation of Cultural and Scientific Heritage (DIPP 2014); Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria.
19-20 September 2014: Training School: Development and Promotion of Open Access to Scientific Information and Research; Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria.
National Information Days “Open Access to Scientific and Culture Information” organized by the Institute of Mathematics and Informatics, Bulgarian Academy of SciencesInternational Week Open Access to Scientific Publications, Conferences, organized by the Institute of Mathematics and Informatics, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences and New Bulgarian University Round table on "e-Infrastructures: the new highways of European development of Bulgaria“, organized by the Bulgarian President and the Director General of UNESCO NALISF (National Academic Library and Information System Forum) - leading figures in top libraries, archives and other cultural institutions in USA, UK, Italy, Germany and Bulgaria shared their experience and knowledge in the creation of digital libraries.Seminars organized by the Foundation “13 Centuries Bulgaria” with representatives of Bulgaria museums and libraries
List of Publications
- Rakosnik J., Stanchev P., Simeonov G., Pavlov R. (2012) - Bulgarian Digital Mathematical Library BulDML and Czech Digital Mathematical Library DML-CZ as parts of the European Digital Mathematics Library EuDML, DIPP 2012, Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria, 18-21 September, 60-68.
- Stanchev P. (2012) – The Third National Information Day: Open Access to Scientific Information, DIPP 2012, Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria, 18-21 September, 199-202.
- Stanchev P. (2011) – OpenAIREplus. International Conference on Digital Preservation and Presentation of Cultural and Scientific Heritage, DIPP 2011, Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria, 11-14 September, 165-170.
- Stanchev, P and Simeonov, G (2011) Open Access and Institutional Repositories in Bulgaria International Conference on Digital Preservation and Presentation of Cultural and Scientific Heritage, DIPP 2011, Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria, 11-14 September, 165-170.
- Dobreva, M and Ikonomov, N (2008) Open Access in Bulgaria: An Overview. Open Conference ELPUB.
Open Acess Coordinator for Bulgaria : Dr. Peter L. Stanchev, Professor and chair of Computer Systems Department, Institute of Mathematics and Informatics, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, email: stanchev(at)math.bas.bgBack to top