Republic of Moldova
There is an active OA movement in Moldova through Electronic Resources for Moldova - Resurse Electronice pentru Moldova (REM) in partnership with EFIL and INASP; REM programmes EIFL-IP, EIFL-OA and EIFL-FOSS work to promote OA. DOAJ indexes 7 OA journals from Moldova. There is one OA digital repository listed in OpenDOAR with the interface available in Romanian, Russian and English.
EIFL's pioneering support of Open Access initiatives and advocacy campaigns in Moldova(June 2013 -February 2014). Results:
- Two institutional OA policies have been adopted: at the National Institute for Economic Research and "Ion Creanga" State Pedagogical University.
- The National Bibliometric Tool (IBN) at the Information Society Development Institute has been launched - IBN currently contains over 32,902 scientific articles for the period of 2000- 2015.
- The second university in the country, "Alecu Russo" State University, launched an OA institutional repository- Open Research Archive (ORA) USARB.
- The release of an OA policy of one of the most important scholarly journals in the country- "Economie si Sociologie" journal. Two journals were registered in DOAJ and Research Papers in Economics (REPEC): Economics and Sociology published by the National Institute of Economic Research and "Economy" published by the Academy of Economic Studies.
Electronic Resources for Moldova (REM) raises OA awareness; active EIFL and INASP partnerships; Draft new Copyright law includes pro-OA requirement. The Consortium REM offers OA advice and is represented in international organization e.g. United Nations - World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
Lack of mandates is the key barrier. Currently there is no national OA policy in place. There are no institutional/ funders' OA mandates registered in ROARMAP.
Nine institutions in Moldova are a part of Tempus funded project Modern Information Services for Improvement Study Quality, which started in December 2013. One of the main project objectives is the creation of Institutional OA Repositories. The project will be implemented until November 2016.
eIFL-OA Program was established in spring 2008 to support under the Consortium eIFL Direct Moldova. This program assists the members of the Consortium for Open Access development.
The Librarians Association of Moldova, Moldova eIFL-IP and Info Center launched “Advocacy for Fair Copyright Laws: The Role of Libraries” in 2009. The project was supported by the Soros Foundation Moldova and eIFL.net Foundation during the competition Consolidation of the NGO sector in the Republic of Moldova.
Moldovan Higher Economic Education OA project, financed by the Royal Norwegian Embassy, aims to initiate the first Institutional Repositories in (see Thematic Projects).
National and Institutional Level Policies/Mandates:
As a result of the "Optimizing Scholarly Communication in Moldova" project funded by EIFL in 2012, the first OA policy in the country was adopted by the Senate at the Academy of Economic Studies of Moldova (AESM) on 24 December, 2012 and the first OA repository in Moldova was launched at AESM.
Declaration of the Library Association of Moldova on Open Access to Information, October, 16, 2009.
The new Law on Copyright was adopted at the session of the Parliament of the Republic of Moldova from the 2nd of July 2010.
Details of Key Organizations:
Electronic Resources for Moldova - Resurse Electronice pentru Moldova (REM)
Overview: A consortium of 16 members representing libraries of all types in partnership with EIFL. The Consortium eIFL Direct Moldova has worked in the Republic of Moldova since 2001 as a form of collaboration between libraries. For 10 years, the Consortium provides effective use of international resources online. The Consortium operates under the Librarians Association in Moldova, the Commission “Computerization and information technology”.
Thematic Open Access projects/Initiatives
Open Access project: Moldovan Higher Economic Education.
Financed by the Royal Norwegian Embassy the main objectives of the project are: to initiate the creation of the first Institutional Repositories (IR) in AESM; jointly design and conduct programmes of awareness raising and training in Moldovan higher education institutions aimed at decision-makers, professional staff academic, researchers and other user communities (including awareness of the benefits of institutional mandating of depositing publications in IR) in order to enhance the impact and ensure the success of the project. Awareness raising and training will cover not only IR but also key topics in the digital libraries field such as Open Access, licensed commercial content and Open Source Software library applications.
Past and Future OA Related Activities:
Open Access events are held annually to raise awareness and share practice on OA issues.
The following is a selection of OA activities that have taken place:
- 22 October 2014: "Open Access to the Agricultural Scientific Information in Universities", State Agrarian University of Moldova.
- 21 October 2014: Strategies of Distribution of the Scientific Information in Universities, Academy of Economic Studies of Moldova.
- 24 October 2014: Workshop "OA Resources: Integration and Development of University Science", Moldova State University.
- 24 October 2014: Scientific Conference "Impact of Open Access on the Visibility of Scientific Production Agricultural" held at State Agrarian University of Moldova. Partners: Institute of Soil Science, Agrochemistry and Soil Protection.
- International seminar “Advocacy for Fair Copyright Laws in Moldova” (December, 3-4, 2009), International Organization eIFL net., Soros Foundation, the U.S. Embassy in Moldova, the Library Association of the Republic of Moldova, eIFL Direct Moldova, eIFL-IP Program, State Agency on Intellectual Property of the Republic of Moldova.
- National Scientific Symposium “Paradigms and trends in scientific information and communication”, July 2, 2010. Organizers: State University of Moldova, Department of Journalism, EIFL-OA Program of Moldova.
- Working session: “Current Trends in the development of information technologies in the Republic of Moldova’s libraries”, organizer: Consortium and the Commission “Computerization and Information Technologies” November, 11-12, 2010.
- The roundtable “Knowledge Without boundaries” on the occasion of the 10th anniversary of the Consortium eIFL Direct Moldova, organized on January, 27, 2011.
- Events for the International Open Access Week in the Republic of Moldova, 2010, 2011, 2012
- 25 October 2011: Re-launch of EIFL-OA Moldova Blog.
- Master's Degrees students of the Faculty of Journalism and Communication of Information of the State University of Moldova were created a video about the Importance of Open Access for developing ideas of science and education.
- Press conference on the creation of the institutional repositories in the Library of the Academy of Economic Studies of Moldova, on October, 18; A series of activities within a Open Access Week into the information centers in the country; coverage of events dedicated to Open Access Week in the national media.
- The Annual Conference of the Librarians' Association of Moldova was devoted “Problems of Open Access in the Republic of Moldova” on November, 11-12, 2010
List of Publications
Cheradi, N (2011) Accesul Deschis la conţinutul digital al învăţământului economic superior din Republica Moldova. In: Creşterea impactului cercetării şi dezvoltarea capacităţii de inovare. conf. st. intern., Chişinău, 21-22 sept., 2011. Ch.: CEP USM, 2011, p.130-132.
Cheradi,N. (2010) Analiza citărilor ca instrument de evaluare a activităţii ştiinţifice în domeniul economic. In: Rolul investiţiilor în dezvoltarea durabilă a economiei naţionale în contextul integrării europene: conf. st. intern. Chişinău, 29-30 oct. 2010. Ch.: ASEM, 2010, p.226-233.
Cheradi,N. (2010) Promovarea Accesului Deschis în Republica Moldova. Biblioteca: revista de bibliologie şi ştiinţa informării (România). 2010, nr.3, 73-76. ISSN 1220-3386.
Cheradi,I, N , Railean, E (2010) Capacitatea de schimbare ca o componentă a succesului bibliotecilor. In: Conferinţa Tehnico-Ştiinţifică a Colaboratorilor, Doctoranzilor şi Studenţilor. Ch.: UTM, 2010, vol. 1, p. 484-486.
Turcan N. (2011) Efectele sociale ale crizei comunicării ştiinţifice pentru accesul la resursele informaţionale ştiinţifice din bibliotecile Republicii Moldova. In: Creşterea impactului cercetării şi dezvoltarea capacităţii de inovare. conf. st. intern., Chişinău, 21-22 sept., 2011. Ch.: CEP USM, 2011, p.130-132.79-82.
Tarnovsch, V and Turcan N (2006) Open Access – o practică contemporană a comunicării ştiinţifice. In: Conferinţa ştiinţifică studenţească dedicată jubileului de 60 de ani de la fondarea USM. 17-20 aprilie: Rezumatele comunicărilor. Ch.: CEP USM, 2006, p.62.
Turcan N and Cheradi, N (2011) Paradigme şi tendinţe în informarea şi comunicarea ştiinţifică. BiblioPolis. 2010, nr.2(34), p.41-42.
Turcan N (2006) Accesul deschis la informaţia ştiinţifică: Iniţiative internaţionale. Magazin bibliologic. 2006, nr. 4, p. 40-46.
Turcan N (2007) Accesul deschis: Iniţiative internaţionale. In: Dezvoltarea durabilă a României şi Republicii Moldova în context european şi mondial: Conferinţa ştiinţifică internaţională. – Ch.: Editura ASEM, 2007, p. 320-325.
Turcan N (2007) Arhive electronice ale biblioteconomiei şi ştiinţei informării. Confluenţe bibliologice. 2007,.nr. 1-2, p. 32-38.