Information on open access in Slovenian language is available through the national portal openaccess.si. As of June 2015, 44 Slovenian OA scientific journals are indexed in DOAJ. The electronic versions of all publicly co-financed Slovenian subscription journals (app. 65 titles) and final reports of research projects, financed by the Slovenian Research Agency, must be deposited into the Digital Library of Slovenia.
There are six OA digital repositories registered in OpenDOAR: Digital Library of Slovenia, Digital Library of the University of Maribor, ePrints.FRI, PeFprints and Digital Repository UL FGG, SciVie repository of Gozdarski Institute of Slovenia. SciVie repository is used to store and make openly accessible, e-materials and e-publications published by staff from Slovenian forestry institute (Ljubljana, Slovenia), Agricultural institute of Slovenia (Ljubljana, Slovenia), National Institute of Biology (Ljubljana, Slovenia) and Department of wood science and technology at Biotechnical faculty University of Ljubljana (Ljubljana, Slovenia). The interface is in English
Some of the research institutions publish open access monographs (e.g., Digital Library of the Educational Research Institute). The country does not have a national portal for open access monographs. Social Science Data Archives, a member of CESSDA, maintained by the Faculty of Social Sciences of the University of Ljubljana, is collecting raw research data from social sciences research. Slovenia takes part in OpenAIRE and OpenAIREplus projects. National open access initiatives are being supported by EIFL-OA program.
Currently, there are 3 OA policies reigstered in ROARMAP.
Recently, a public consultation of the Ministry of Education, Science and Sport on the Slovenian draft document entitled “Open Access in Slovenia 2015-2020: Principles and Regulation Regarding the Open Access to Scientific Publications and Research Data in Slovenia for the Period from 2015 to 2020” lasted 15 days (Until 2 June 2015). After the completion of the public consultation, the working group composed a draft OA policy document. The working group plans to consult on the document by all the ministries, following which the consideration of their comments will go to the Government’s session. The ambitious plan is to have the draft document adopted by the Government of the Republic of Slovenia by the end of June 2015. The draft document provides a good practice example of fully aligned national policy on open access to scientific publications and national pilot programme Open access to research data with the Horizon 2020 (H2020) Open Access mandate and Open Research Data Pilot and July 2012 Commission’s Recommendations on access to and preservation of scientific information.
The Research and Development Act specifies that research results must be publicly available.
The Resolution on the National Research and Development Programme 2011-2020 anticipates open access to raw research data from publicly financed research and preparation of an action plan till 2014 as a basis for a national open research data policy.
The Research Infrastructure Development Plan 2011-2020 envisages the international cooperation of Slovenia in ESS, Dariah and CESSDA projects. National repositories for scientific publications and for raw research data are planned, connected with the national CRIS (SICRIS). Deposit of research publications and raw data will be made mandatory. Building of an open social sciences and humanities research infrastructure is also anticipated.
Partnership with OpenAIRE has led to the establishment of a National Open Access Desk at the University of Ljubljana.
Consortium of Slovene Electronic Collections (COSEC) representing 115 academic, public, NGO and special libraries is a member of EIFL and has an open access coordinator.
- openaccess.si portal, Jožef Stefan Institute, Dr Luka Šušteršič, luka.sustersic(at)ijs.si
- OpenAIRE National Open Access Desk, University of Ljubljana, Dr Mojca Kotar, mojca.kotar(at)uni-lj.si
- Open Data Project, University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Social Sciences, Dr Janez Štebe, janez.stebe(at)fdv.uni-lj.si
- COBISS.Net: COBISS (Co-operative Online Bibliographic Systems and Services) is a reference model of a system representing the platform for the national library information systems of Slovenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia, which are interconnected in the COBISS.Net regional network. Institute of Information Science, Davor Šoštarič, davor.sostaric(at)izum.si
- Portal of Slovenian scientific and literary journals (action plan), The Peace Institute, Dr Maja Breznik-Močnik, maja.breznik(at)guest.arnes.si
- DRIVER, COAR, EIFL-OA coordinator, National and University Library, Dr Alenka Kavčič-Ćolić, alenka.kavcic(at)nuk.uni-lj.si
Details of Key Organizations:
Digital Library of Slovenia (dLib.si)
Overview: National digital library of print, photographs and multimedia
Communication: National and University Library, Turjaška 1, SI-1000 Ljubljana, info(at)nuk.uni-lj.si
Digital Library of the University of Maribor (DKUM)
Overview: Institutional repository of the university
Communication: University of Maribor, Slomškov trg 15, SI-2000 Maribor, rektorat(at)uni-mb.si
Overview: Institutional repository of the Faculty of Computer and Information Science of the University of Ljubljana
Communication: University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Computer and Information Science, Tržaška 25, SI-1000 Ljubljana, dekanat(at)fri.uni-lj.si
Overview: Institutional repository of the Faculty of Education of the University of Ljubljana
Communication: University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Education, Kardeljeva ploščad 16, SI-1000 Ljubljana, pisarna(at)pef.uni-lj.si
Overview: Institutional repository of the Faculty of Civil and Geodetic Engineering of the University of Ljubljana
Communication: University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Civil and Geodetic Engineering, Jamova 2, SI-1000 Ljubljana, fgg(at)fgg.uni-lj.si
Thematic Open Access projects/Initiatives
SISTORY – histoy of Slovenia
SiDIH – digital infrastructure for the humanities and the arts
Wikivir – Slovenian literature
Slovensko leposlovje na spletu – Slovenian literature
Slovenski zgodovinski roman – Slovenian historical novels
Slovenska kmečka povest – Slovenian rural stories
Past and Future OA Related Activities:
18 October 2014: FOSTER: Research Data Management and Open Data; University of Ljubljana, Slovenia.
23-25 April, 2014: 2014 OCW Consortium Global Conference; Ljubljana, Slovenia.
Open access to the achievements of Slovenian scientists, 4th joint conference of the Special Libraries Section and the Academic Libraries Section of the Slovenian Library Association Ljubljana, October 27-28, 2010, proceedings
International Open Access Week celebrations in Slovenia:
- Open Access Week in Slovenia 2013: Central Technological Library in Ljubljana, University of Ljubljana, University of Maribor and Arnes joined the celebrations by hosting a video conference with Peter Suber, Director of the Harvard Office for Scholarly Communication and the Harvard Open Access Project, Senior Researcher at the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC). Open access and open content licenses were discussed as well as open access policies in Europe and the US, visibility of research publications and new approaches to research assessment and evaluation.
List of Publications
- Ježovnik, Alen. "Open Access Journals in Slovenia: An Exploratory Study." Human Capital without Borders: Management, Knowledge and Learning for Quality of Life. 25 June 2014. Web. 12 Jan. 2015
- Milan Ojsteršek , Janez Brezovnik , Mojca Kotar , Marko Ferme , Goran Hrovat , Albin Bregant , Mladen Borovič , (2014) "Establishing of a Slovenian open access infrastructure: a technical point of view", <journal-title xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:mml="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML"></journal-title>Program: electronic library and information systems</journal-title><//journal-title>, Vol. 48 Iss: 4, pp.394 - 412
- Kotar, Dr.Mojca. " Slovenia OA statistics."OpenAIRE. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Oct. 2014
- KOLER POVH, Teja, ŽUMER, Maja. Raziskave o vplivu odprtega dostopa na citiranost znanstvenih del = Research on the impact of open access on the citation of scientific publications. Geodetski vestnik, 2012, vol. 56, no. 2, p. 325–342.
- ŠUŠTERŠIČ, Luka. openaccess.si – Slovenian national open access web site: a case study from Slovenia. 2012.
- BREZNIK, Maja, GJORGJIOSKI, Valentin, DAMJAN, Matija. Izvedbeni načrt spletnega portala znanstvenih in literarnih revij: ekspertiza. Ljubljana: Javna agencija za knjigo Republike Slovenije, 2011.
- KOLER POVH, Teja, JUŽNIČ, Primož, TURK, Žiga, TURK, Goran. Analiza znanstvenih objav v slovenskem gradbeništvu in geodeziji na primeru UL FGG = Analysis of scientific publications in civil and geodetic engineering in Slovenia, in the case of the Faculty of the Civil and Geodetic Engineering in University of Ljubljana. Geodetski vestnik, 2011, vol. 55, no. 4, p. 764–780.
- KOTAR, Mojca. Vzpostavljanje okolja odprtega dostopa v Sloveniji. 2011.
- TURK, Nana. Do open access biomedical journals benefit smaller countries? The Slovenian experience. Health Information & Libraries Journal, 2011, vol. 28, iss. 2, p. 143–147.
- BOGATAJ JANČIČ, Maja, BREZNIK MOČNIK, Marija, DAMJAN, Matija, KOVAČIČ, Matej, MILOHNIĆ, Aldo. Upravljanje avtorskih in sorodnih pravic na internetu – vidik javnih institucij = The Management of Copyright on the Internet – the Public Institution’s Perspective. Ljubljana: Mirovni inštitut; Inštitut za primerjalno pravo, 2010.
- BOŽIČ, Maja, ZEMLJIČ, Igor (Eds). Prost dostop do dosežkov slovenskih znanstvenikov: zbornik prispevkov 4. skupnega posvetovanja Sekcije za specialne knjižnice in Sekcije za visokošolske knjižnice Zveze bibliotekarskih društev Slovenije = Open access to the achievements of Slovenian scientists: Proceedings of the 4th Joint Conference of the Special Libraries Section and the Academic Libraries Section of the Slovenian Library Association. Ljubljana: Zveza bibliotekarskih društev Slovenije, 2010
- TURK, Nana. Odprti dostop v medicinskem publiciranju = Open access in medical publishing. Zdravniški vestnik, 2010, vol. 79, no. 9, p. 638–642.
- HEDLUND, Turid. An Open Mind Towards Open Access Publishing: An Interview with Bo-Christer Björk. ScieComInfo: Nordic-Baltic Forum for Scientific Communication, 2009, vol. 5, no. 1.
- KAVČIČ-ČOLIĆ, Alenka. Digitalna knjižnica Slovenije in Univerza v Ljubljani. Knjižničarske novice, 2009, vol. 19, no. 6/7, p. 13–14.
- KOTAR, Mojca. Prost dostop do znanstvenih objav in podatkov. Knjižničarske novice, 2009, vol. 19, no. 11, p. 3–6.
- KOTAR, Mojca. Prostodostopni repozitorij raziskovalnih objav in podatkov ter visokošolskih del. Knjižničarske novice, 2009, vol. 19, no. 6/7, p. 8–12.
- TURK, Nana. Citation impact of open access journals. New Library World, vol. 109, iss. 1/2, p. 65–74.
- Comba, V (2004) Trends in digital libraries and scholarly communication among European Academic Research Libraries. California Digital Libraries Discussion Group. 2004
- NEKREP, Franc Viktor. Odprti dostop gre naprej: izšla je elektronska revija PLoS Biology. Delo Znanost, 17. 11. 2003, p. 12.
- NEKREP, Franc Viktor. Za prost dostop do znanja: kdaj virtualna nacionalna odložiščna baza znanstvenih tekstov. Delo Znanost, 23. 9. 2002, p. 11.