CLACSO – Red de Bibliotecas Virtuales de Ciencias Sociales de América Latina y el Caribe (Latin America and the Caribbean Social Science Council, CLACSO - Latin America and the Caribbean Social Science Virtual Libraries Network)
This social sciences digital repository provides Open Access to the output of 284 social science research and teaching institutional members of CLACSO from 21 countries of Latin America and the Caribbean.
It offers users Open Access to a virtual reading room with:
- Collection of full-text books, working documents, journal articles, conference papers and thesis
- Collection of peer-review journals CLACSO in Redalyc
- Section of links to audio and video records
- Links to other digital collections with more than 150.000 full-texts
This service was created in 1998 by CLACSO and today it is a joint effort together with
- Working group of journal editors, publication staff and librarians from CLACSO´s network
- Working group of CLACSO´s member staff working with video and audio
CLACSO member institutions participating in this Open Access initiative receive:
- A personalized digital collection
- Online self-archiving system to update digital collections
- Resources in support of e-publishing, digital libraries and repositories.
- Online technical support
- Participation in working group to receive fortnightly news and professional updates, and exchange news and information
This digital repository receives an average of 1.150.000 monthly requests from a great diversity of countries, mainly from the region and including the most deprived countries.
CLACSO actively promotes and supports open access to publicly funded research through its CLACSO Open Access Campaign.
For the development and upgrading of this service, CLACSO has received support from SIDA, NORAD, INASP and IDRC. An agreement in 2009 with UAEM-Redalyc has allowed the development of the peer-review journals collection.