SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online
SciELO is a cooperative decentralized platform for electronic publishing of scientific journals, with national focal points in 15 countries. From Latin America and the Caribbean, the following countries, with active national focal points, have journal collections in SciELO: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Mexico, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela. By 2015, SciELO provides Open Access to over 1200 journals from the region, allowing searches at article and journal level, by subject or country, to view and download abstract, full-text, and citation information.
SciELO started in Brazil in 1997 as a partnership among FAPESP – the State of São Paulo Science Foundation- and BIREME -the Latin America and Caribbean Center on Health Sciences Information), a center of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO/WHO)-. Since 2002 SciELO also receives support from CNPq -Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico. SciELO demonstrates the importance of government funding to improve visibility, access and impact of science in developing countries.
The SciELO model includes several components:
- methodology for electronic publication of complete editions of scientific journals, with searchable bibliographical and full text databases, preservation of electronic archives
- methodology to operate web sites with collections of electronic journals, for national and thematic sites.
- methodology for the production of statistical indicators of use and impact. And journal evaluation criteria based on international scientific communication standards.
- Quality requirements for journals to be accepted in Scielo
- SciELO partnerships at national, regional and international level aiming at the dissemination, improvement and sustainability of the SciELO Model. The operation of the SciELO network is highly based on national infrastructures, which contributes to guarantee its future sustainability
- Training activities
SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online, Rua Machado Bittencourt, 430- Vila Clementino 04044-001 São Paulo SP – Brazil
Tel.: (55 11) 5083-3639