UNESCO and LPI promote Linux education in Arab region
The Arab Support Centre for Free and Open Source Software, Ma3bar, signed an agreement with LPI-Middle East, an affiliate of the Linux Professional Institute (LPI), to promote the adoption of free and open source software (FOSS) throughout the Arab world. The agreement was signed during the launch of Ma3bar at UNESCO's Beirut Office on 5 November 2009.
Established by UNESCO, UNDP-ICTDAR and the University of Balamand, Ma3bar aims to contribute to social and economic development in the Arab region through the promotion and dissemination of FOSS and by developing and conducting training programmes on such software.
The agreement between Ma3bar and LPI-Middle East includes the following key activities in the region:
- promoting Linux education and LPI certification within post-secondary curriculum in universities;
- improving the quality of Linux and open source training;
- delivering both Linux certification and curriculum;
- establishing a local examination centre to increase local competencies and skills in Linux;
- developing an Arabic-speaking community within the Linux and open source context; and
- conducting workshops, public conferences, academic seminars and other forums to promote Linux and open source.
"LPI has worked with a number of UN-sponsored initiatives over the years to promote the use of open source technology in developing countries. We welcome these joint efforts as it enables LPI to further our mission of advancing Linux professionalism. This agreement with Ma3bar will greatly enhance the impact of our affiliate, LPI-Middle East, in promoting Linux education and our globally-recognized certification programme," said Jim Lacey, President and CEO of LPI.
The Linux Professional Institute promotes and certifies essential skills on Linux and open source technologies through the global delivery of comprehensive, top-quality exams. Established as an international non-profit organization, LPI advances the Linux and open source movement through strategic partnerships, innovative programmes and community development activities. It is globally supported by the IT industry, enterprise customers, community professionals, government entities and the educational community. LPI's certification programme is distributed worldwide in multiple languages.