UNESCO - IGNOU Gender Training Project
UNESCO in collaboration with Indian's Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) announces the launch of a initiative for designing, developing and delivering gender training modules in the areas of empowerment and training, gender-sensitive policies, interventions and institutions; media, methods and approaches in gender training; education and research; leadership; governance and entrepreneurship.
The gender training inputs - self-instructional modules available on CD-ROM and online by end of April 2004 - are targeted at gender trainers, women's organizations, policy makers and students. They combine "face-to-face" (f2f) and distance modes supported by technology-mediated and f2f counselling, mentoring and resource provision.
The modules are intended to contribute to raising gender awareness and improving gender sensitivity by:
- Promoting understanding of key concepts such as gender empowerment, gender equality and gender equity;
- Encouraging reflection on emerging approaches to gender and development; the use of gender sensitive indicators and gender analysis;
- Promoting understanding of gender mainstreaming as a strategy and its practical applications;
- Encouraging incorporation of gender considerations in project planning, implementation and evaluation; and
- Promoting gender-based research.