Memory of the World logo competition launched
Following the revision of UNESCO branding directives, a new requirement for 'secondary logos' relating to UNESCO programmes has been adopted, which regulates their use alongside the official UNESCO emblem.
The current Memory of the World (MOW) logo repeats elements of the UNESCO logo block, it detracts from the visual impact. For this reason, the design of a new logo is envisaged in order for the Memory of the World to retain its identity as it develops.
UNESCO has therefore decided to launch an international competition inviting the submission of a new design that best corresponds to the mandate of the Programme to promote, protect and preserve the world's documentary heritage.
Specifically, the new design should comprise a form that can:
- be systematically used (as a secondary logo) together with the UNESCO emblem;
- represent the thrust and spirit of the MOW programme;
- be easily recognizable and attractive for main audiences: archival, library, museum and documentation professionals and institutions, government representatives, mass media;
- be reproducible with simple technical means, e.g. black and white low resolution photocopy;
- work on both print and electronic materials (Internet sites, e-mailings);
- work on large and small applications;
- work in different cultural environments;
- work in different languages, including multi-language versions;
- work also in a reduced version.
Proposals concerning a new MOW logo should be provided in both print and electronic (high and low resolution) formats and include a description of the proposed logo. They should include the following versions:
- black and white,
- multilingual, and
The winner of the contest will be announced by the 10th session on the Memory of the World International Advisory Committee in July 2009 and will receive a monetary award of US $2,000. He/she will also be featured in a special news item on the Memory of the World website. All rights for the selected logo will be held exclusively by UNESCO.
Proposals should be sent by 31 May 2009 to:
- Ms Joie Springer
Memory of the World Programme
Information Society Division
1, rue Miollis
75732 Paris Cedex 15
Questions concerning the graphic charter of UNESCO should be sent to: